WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing winPublished: November 30, 2023
The Super Falcons walloped Cape Verde in the second round of the Women's Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers played at the Moshood Abiola Stadium on Thursday evening.
The interim coach Justin Madugu rang some changes to the team to the team that started against Ethiopia in October, with Deborah Abiodun and Osinachi Ohale being reinstated into the starting XI and Gift Monday was handed a starting berth
The home side raced into the lead as early as the 7th minute when Uchenna Kanu tapped the ball in from close range.
Cape Verde came close to restoring parity in the 16th minute but were denied by a stunning save from Chiamaka Nnadozie.
Gift Monday gave Nigeria a two-goal cushion in the 25th minute, pouncing on an opportunity presented to her from a goal-mouth scramble
Rasheedat Ajibade came close to extending the lead in the 33rd minute but she couldn't hit the target.
Close to the end of the first half, Kanu got her second and Super Falcons third of the encounter with a brilliant finish from Toni Payne's pass.
The Cape Verdeans got the chance to pull one back right before the end of the first half but couldn't direct their attempt towards the goal.
Payne got the Super Falcons' first real chance at goal in the second half after an exchange of passes with Esther Okoronkwo but could not hit the target.
The substitute would score the fourth of the game with a composed finish from close range in the 66th minute, having been assisted by Esther Okudo Ogbonna.
Okoronkwo got the fifth and final goal of the game in the 77th minute with a sublime cross from Rofiat Imuran.
The second leg is to take place next week on Tuesday at the Estádio Nacional de Cabo.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football