Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates OsimhenPublished: December 04, 2023
Germany forward Paris Brunner has won the Golden Ball award of the 2023 Fifa U17 World Cup following the conclusion of the tournament in Indonesia on Saturday, December 2.
The Borussia Dortmund starlet mustered five goals and provided an assist in seven appearances at the tournament including a brace in Germany's hard fought win over Argentina in the semifinals and one in the final against France.
Brunner is the nineteenth different player to win the Golden Ball since the competition was first held in China in 1985.
Four Nigerian players have won the award in the past, namely Philip Osondu (1985), Sani Emmanuel (2009), Kelechi Iheanacho (2013) and Kelechi Nwakali (2015).
By winning the Golden Ball, Brunner also followed in the footsteps of the likes of Nii Lamptey, Landon Donovan, Florent Sinama-Pongolle, Cesc Fàbregas, Toni Kroos and Phil Foden.
The Golden Boot, awarded to the top scorer of the competition, went to Argentina's Agustin Ruberto - an award previously won by former Golden Eaglets players Wilson Oruma (1993), Macauley Chrisantus (2007) and Victor Osimhen (2015).
Osimhen has scored the most goals in a single tournament, ten in total, which is two more than Ruberto who netted eight goals in seven games for La Albiceleste.
France glovesman Paul Argney was awarded the Golden Glove, an award won by Nigeria's Dele Alampasu in 2013.
Photo Credit: fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football