Dapo Afolayan: Exciting winger who learned his trade at Chelsea commits international future to NigeriaPublished: December 05, 2023
Allnigeriasoccer.com has been told that Chelsea youth team product Dapo Afolayan is open to representing the Nigeria national team.
The St. Pauli winger has pledged his international future to the three-time African champions and is hoping to be part of their squad for the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations.
Born in London, Afolayan has represented England's C team, comprising only non-league players, in the past.
On his debut, he came off the bench to replace onetime Nigeria Football Federation target Fejiri Okenabirhie in a friendly against Slovakia.
The 26-year-old thinks he has done enough to put himself on the radar of the Super Eagles coach Jose Peseiro, having impressed for St.Pauli in the ongoing season.
The versatile winger is one of the first names on the teamsheet for table-topping St. Pauli, and has registered five goal involvements in his last ten appearances in the 2. Bundesliga, helping the Hamburg based club remain unbeaten after fifteen rounds of matches in the division.
Afolayan will bring his versatility to the Nigeria national team if handed a call-up as he can be deployed on both wings and play centrally as a striker.
He scored on his senior debut for West Ham United, and also lists Oldham Athletic, Mansfield Town and Bolton Wanderers among his previous clubs.
Afolayan was on the books of Chelsea for seven years before moving on to pastures new.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football