'We know he's a very good player' - West Brom boss explains why Super Eagles striker is not starting gamesPublished: December 05, 2023
West Brom manager Carlos Corberán has revealed the reason behind not starting Josh Maja in games since his arrival at the club.
Since moving to West Brom in the summer having finished as the top scorer for Bordeaux in the Ligue 2 last season, the Nigerian striker has yet to start a game for the Championship side this term which has also affected his rhythm.
It has been claimed that the 24-year-old arrived at the Hawthorns unfit and that was compounded by the ankle injury he suffered in September.
Corberán has explained that the Sunderland academy product has to regain full fitness to be given a starting berth.
In quotes relayed by Express & Star, the Spanish gaffer said: "I think Josh Maja if he is not starting the game, it is because he still needed the time to be ready.
"Hopefully, during the next game, he is more fit and he is ready to be in the pitch for more minutes because we know he's a very good player.
"I understand these things happen (fitness and injury) but he has scored many goals in his career, last year he was the player who scored more goals in France (Ligue 2) and he is a player for more who has the instinct of a goal.
"For me the most important thing is to have him available to compete with the team – that's all."
Brandon Thomas-Asante has led the attack for the Baggies for most of the campaign so far but his inconsistency suggests Maja can replace him in the starting XI as the former has scored 4 goals in 17 games this season in the Championship.
The Super Eagles forward got his first goal last weekend and will be seeking to score in two consecutive games when West Brom face his former side Sunderland at the Stadium of Light next weekend.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football