2015 Golden Eaglets invitee among three Gabriels on target as Arsenal edge seven-goal thriller at LutonPublished: December 06, 2023
Arsenal and Premier League new boys Luton Town played out a breathtaking seven-goal thriller on gameweek fifteen at Kenilworth Road on Tuesday night, with three players with a Nigerian background on target for the Hatters.
Luton Town manager Rob Edwards handed starts to 2015 Golden Eaglets invitee Gabriel Osho, Fulham academy product Elijah Adebayo and cap-tied England international of Nigerian descent Ross Barkley, while Nigerian native Chiedozie Ogbene entered the game as a substitute with 61 minutes gone.
After Gabriel Martinelli opened the scoring in the 20th minute, Osho leveled matters five minutes later when he got space in the box and sent in a header past goalkeeper David Raya.
It was the central defender's first goal in the Premier League in what was his sixth appearance, having missed the first nine games of the campaign due to a knee issue.
Arsenal were ahead at the break thanks to Gabriel Jesus, who made it 2-1 with a brilliant header from Ben White's cross.
Four minutes into the second half, Adebayo powered in an equalizer after the ball was put on a plate by Alfie Doughty, before Ross Barkley, on his 30th birthday, slotted his shot under Raya for his first goal in Luton Town colours.
Luton's lead didn't last long as Kai Havertz took advantage of a magnificent assist from Jesus to restore parity at minute 60.
It was heartbreak for the Hatters in the seventh minute of stoppage time when Declan Rice headed past Thomas Kaminski after Arsenal captain Martin Odegaard looped a cross into the box.
With the win, Arsenal have garnered 36 points and will continue to top the standings until at least Saturday, December 9.
Photo Credit: lutontown.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football