'I've had many African players Yobo and Yakubu' - West Ham boss on being without some players during AFCONPublished: December 06, 2023
West Ham boss David Moyes has underlined that being without a number of his players during the Africa Cup of Nations early in January is nothing new to him, having managed the likes of retired Nigeria internationals Joseph Yobo and Yakubu Aiyegbeni in the past
Moyes will have to manage his squad during the upcoming tournament in Ivory Coast, with four Hammers in contention to feature in the tournament.
Mohammed Kudus (Ghana), Said Benrahma (Algeria), Nayef Aguerd (Morocco) and Maxwel Cornet (Ivory Coast) are the players Moyes could be without in an important phase of the season.
In the worst case scenario, the aforementioned players would not be available for selection in five straight games including back-to-back Premier League matches against Manchester United and Arsenal should their nations reach the final.
Addressing the media before his side's London derby with Tottenham Hotspur, Moyes was quoted as saying by the official webpage of West Ham: "I've had many African players - Joseph Yobo and Yakubu at Everton when I was a younger manager - and I know the support for the Premier League is huge in Africa.
"Said Benrahma is massive back in Algeria and Nayef Aguerd in Morocco, and it's important we take them back to their part of the world, and the African Nations Cup is part of the world's football scheduling and we'll have some African players who will probably be away."
The 2023 Africa Cup of Nations takes place from January 13 to February 11, 2024.
Alex Iwobi and Calvin Bassey (both Fulham), Ola Aina (Nottingham Forest) and Frank Onyeka (Brentford) are the Premier League players set to be on international duty with the Super Eagles during the Africa Cup of Nations.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football