'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham ForestPublished: December 09, 2023
Alex Iwobi has admitted that he wanted to stay on the pitch for the entirety of Fulham's 5-0 win over Nottingham Forest in a Premier League game on Wednesday, December 6.
The Nigeria international broke the deadlock in the 30th minute, side-footing the ball into the bottom corner after a cross from Willian, and got his brace and Fulham's fourth in the 73rd minute when he swept home.
However, Iwobi and Raúl Jiménez were denied a chance to get a hat-trick when they were substituted in the 76th and 79th minute respectively.
The Hale End Academy graduate netted his first-ever Premier League brace in the big win versus Nottingham Forest in what was his 234th appearance in the division.
Reacting to his first-ever brace, Iwobi told Fulham's official webpage: "I've come close before, I feel like I could have got a hat-trick as well but to get my first brace was nice and for us to win as well that's the main thing."
With the game against West Ham United coming up so quick, it was nice to see Marco Silva give Iwobi a rest by taking him off with fourteen minutes left on the clock, but the Nigeria international has insisted that he would have loved to stay on as he had the potential to score his first hat-trick as a professional.
"Of course every player wants to stay on and I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick so I'm sure both of us wanted to complete that but it is what it is.
"Sharing the minutes is the main thing but also getting the three points," he added.
Iwobi has mustered four goals in thirteen appearances for Fulham since returning to London on deadline day.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football