'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield UnitedPublished: December 09, 2023
Former Liverpool and Newcastle United striker Michael Owen has insisted that Frank Onyeka was fortunate to escape a first half dismissal during Brentford's 1-0 loss to Sheffield United at Bramall Lane on Saturday.
James McAtee scored what proved to be the game-wining goal for Sheffield United right on the stroke of halftime with a stunner from outside the box.
As the game edged towards the half-hour mark, referee Stuart Attwell issued a yellow card to Onyeka for going in hard on Vinicius Souza with his studs up.
The on-field decision of the referee stood following a VAR review, which the Blades fans naturally disagreed with.
Onyeka was walking a disciplinary tightrope and was replaced before the start of the second half by manager Thomas Frank.
Owen, who was on punditry duties for Premier League Productions, reckons that the referee was lenient on the Nigeria international and a red card should have been produced.
He said: "Lucky boy Onyeka. There was a lot of force, he catches him, does very, very well not to get hurt here.
"In normal time it does not look the worst, it looks he just mistimed it. When you slow it down it looks very nasty."
Following his yellow card against Sheffield United, his fourth of the season, Onyeka is now one caution away from receiving an automatic one-game ban.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football