CAF Awards 2023: Oshoala wins 6th POTY; Nnadozie Goalkeeper of the Year; Super Falcons best national teamPublished: December 11, 2023
Barcelona star Asisat Oshoala and Paris FC shot stopper Chiamaka Nnadozie won the CAF Women's Player of the Year and Goalkeeper of the Year at the Award Gala held in Marrakech, Morocco on Monday night.
Nnadozie won the Goalkeeper of the Year ahead of Khadija Er-Rmichi and Andile Dlamini.
The 23-year-old kept 3 clean sheets at the World Cup and helped Paris FC qualify for the UEFA Women's Champions League, the highlight being her two penalty saves against Arsenal in the qualification series.
She becomes the first player to win the award as this year is the first of it being given.
Asisat Oshoala further engraved her name in the history books having been named as the Player of the Year for the sixth time.
The 29-year-old helped Barcelona Femení to scoop the Primera División and the Women's Champions League while she also became the first African player to score at 3 three editions of the World Cup.
In the same vein, the Super Falcons won the Women's Team of the Year for the first time since 2018 and the fifth since the inception of the award.
Despite finishing fourth in the Africa Cup of Nations last year, the record African champions did the continent proud at the World Cup.
Placed in a tough group that had joint-host nation Australia, the Super Falcons made it to the round of 16 and conceded just two goals throughout the tournament.
Michelle Alozie, Osinachi Ohale and Oshoala were all named in the Team of the Year with Nnadozie surprisingly missing out.
However, Coach Randy Waldrum lost out to Desiree Ellis in the Coach of the Year category, with the former winning the award for the 4th time while Deborah Abiodun also missed out on the Young Player of the Year as it was won by Moroccan defender Nesryne El Chad.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football