'It's not the same' - Bayer Leverkusen striker insists he is not on the same level as Victor BonifacePublished: December 13, 2023
Bayer Leverkusen attacker Patrik Schick has insisted that he is not on the same level as Victor Boniface because he's just returning from injury.
Boniface has made a blistering start to his Bayer Leverkusen career with a goal involvement of 21 from 21 outings across all competitions.
The Nigeria international has won the Bundesliga Rookie of the Month for four consecutive months and was named Player of the Month for August.
Only Bayern Munich's Harry Kane (18), VfB Stuttgart's Serhou Guirassy (16), RB Leipzig's Loïs Openda (10) and Wolfsburg's Jonas Wind (9) have scored more goals than Boniface in this season's Bundesliga.
Schick has yet to make his first start of the season but he is being considered to lead the attack from the off for the first time in thirteen months in Thursday's Europa League clash against Molde FK.
Schick doesn't yet see himself as Boniface's equal but is hoping that the situation will change in the near future.
Speaking to the media, including Kicker, at the pre-match press conference before the visit of Molde, he said: "I'm coming off a long injury, so it's not the same but I definitely want to push him. I also want to play.
"I'm a striker who has already scored more than 20 goals in a season, I don't want to sit on the bench."
Schick is widely expected to step into the shoes of Boniface when the latter heads for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in January.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- First Premier League call-up: 15yo son of ex-Super Eagles striker could make Wolves history in Newcastle
- Ex-Barcelona midfielder believes Zirkzee fully deserves to be named in Netherlands provisional squad
- 17 goal involvements in 24 games: Rangers striker Dessers explains why he's flourishing under Clement
- Struggling for game time at loan club: Super Eagles-eligible midfielder back playing for Man Utd U21s
- Everton, Crystal Palace or Nottingham Forest: Which club would suit Super Eagles midfielder Onyedika best?
- PL2: Nwaneri scores pick of the goals but misses penalty as Arsenal come from behind to beat Chelsea
- Tottenham hold advantage over Man Utd in race for Dutch-Nigerian striker
- Will Jose Peseiro's exit derail Super Eagles path to 2026 World Cup?
- Confirmed team news: Ndidi starts partial training at Leicester but ruled out of QPR clash
- Tottenham coach provides update on Nigeria-eligible fullback ahead of London derby
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football