'They want to win all their games' - Amuneke admits ex-teammate Xavi is having challenges at BarcelonaPublished: December 17, 2023
Former African Footballer of the Year and retired Nigeria international Emmanuel Amuneke has acknowledged that his former teammate at Barcelona, Xavi Hernández is having challenges at the Blaugrana.
Appointed Barcelona coach in November 2021, Xavi won La Liga last season and also the Supercopa de Espana.
Xavi, who won the Champions League four times as a Barcelona player, has coached the Catalonia outfit in 113 matches across all competitions with a record of 70 wins, 20 draws and 23 losses.
He was rewarded with a new two-year contract in September with the option of an additional year.
This season has not been easy for Xavi with Barcelona sitting in third place in La Liga, seven points behind Real Madrid after seventeen matches played.
Although Barcelona advanced to the last 16 of the Champions League as group winners, they suffered losses to Shakhtar Donetsk and Royal Antwerp.
Asked if Xavi can replicate what he did last season, Amuneke said on Channels TV Sports: "I hope so. It's true he's having challenges and yesterday's game they saved a point. You know Barcelona's philosophy they want to win all their games.
"They want the team to win always and when you start having those challenges, of course people start talking. The media here they are very serious in criticizing the team and the coaches that are involved.
"I wish him all the best and I'm happy that someone that we played together is now a coach. He won the league last season, we hope that he can be able to turn the situation around."
According to reports, Joan Laporta, the president of Barcelona, is contemplating sacking Xavi and has identified the club's legendary center back Rafael Marquez as his potential successor.
Photo Credit: fcbarcelona.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles' AFCON star Lookman training on his own ahead of AC Milan v Atalanta
- 'One of our best players' - Leicester coach provides injury update on Super Eagles midfielder Ndidi
- Premier League and Serie A calling: Is it time for Boniface to bid farewell to Bayer Leverkusen?
- Super Eagles duo Iwobi, Bassey hoping Fulham can hurt Man Utd for the first time in nineteen games
- Chelsea post scouts to run the rule over Osimhen in Napoli's 1-1 draw against Barcelona
- Super Eagles centre-back resumes training at Boavista after contracting malaria at AFCON
- 'I don't care about anything, just to score' - Flying Eagles invitee Joseph says he models game after Haaland
- Gabriel Osho: Three reasons Nigerian Federation should make another move for Luton Town CB
- Why William Troost-Ekong shone in AFCON 2023
- Nigerian football stars to watch out for
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football