Brentford rejects bids from Girona, Reims for Nigeria's 2023 AFCON star; Fulham, Everton also interestedPublished: January 31, 2024
Brentford have rejected bids from Ligue 1 side Stade de Reims and La Liga surprise package Girona for Nigeria's 2023 Africa Cup of Nations star Frank Onyeka.
According to The Standard UK, the Bees have rejected the late approaches from the French and Spanish sides to sign the Nigerian midfielder.
Fulham and Everton are also interested in Onyeka but Brentford are unwilling to do business with their Premier League rivals.
Girona surprisingly sit first on top of the La Liga standings at the moment albeit having played one more game than second-placed Real Madrid and want to bolster their midfield options before the end of the current transfer window.
Aleix García is the White and Reds first-choice defensive midfielder this season and Onyeka will have to work his socks off to displace the former if he were to join the Catalonia-based club.
Reims on the other hand want to sign the Nigerian international as a replacement for Azor Matusiwa who they sold to Rennes earlier this month.
Onyeka has failed to break into Brentford's starting lineup this season, starting just 6 games all season in the Premier League but has made sixteen appearances in total.
He is currently representing Nigeria at the Africa Cup of Nations where he has played a key role in the 2013 AFCON champions advancing to the quarterfinal of the competition.
The former Midtjylland midfielder has completed all but one game so far for the Super Eagles in Africa's biggest football tournament.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Everything you need to know about Super Falcons mouthwatering clash against Indomitable Lionesses
- Super Eagles' AFCON star Lookman training on his own ahead of AC Milan v Atalanta
- 'One of our best players' - Leicester coach provides injury update on Super Eagles midfielder Ndidi
- Premier League and Serie A calling: Is it time for Boniface to bid farewell to Bayer Leverkusen?
- Super Eagles duo Iwobi, Bassey hoping Fulham can hurt Man Utd for the first time in nineteen games
- Chelsea post scouts to run the rule over Osimhen in Napoli's 1-1 draw against Barcelona
- Super Eagles centre-back resumes training at Boavista after contracting malaria at AFCON
- 'I don't care about anything, just to score' - Flying Eagles invitee Joseph says he models game after Haaland
- Gabriel Osho: Three reasons Nigerian Federation should make another move for Luton Town CB
- Why William Troost-Ekong shone in AFCON 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football