Super Eagles starting XI v CIV: Zaidu is back; Chukwueze, Onyeka, Iwobi, Bassey, Osimhen start; Simon outPublished: February 11, 2024
Allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report that Nigeria manager Jose Peseiro has announced his starting lineup for Sunday night's 2023 Africa Cup of Nations final against Ivory Coast following the conclusion of a team meeting before the team's trip to the Alassane Ouattara Stadium, Abidjan.
The big news is that Porto defender Zaidu Sanusi has passed a late fitness test, paving the way for him to make a return to the starting lineup to face the Elephants, after sitting out the semifinal win over South Africa's Bafana Bafana.
Bright Osayi-Samuel making way for Zaidu is one of the two changes made by Portuguese football tactician Jose Peseiro and the other change sees Samuel Chukwueze replace Moses Simon who had a subdued performance against South Africa.
Stanley Nwabali, one of the stars of the tournament and a candidate for the Golden Glove, makes his eighth consecutive start for the Super Eagles.
The Chippa United glovesman is protected by a back three consisting of Semi Ajayi, William Troost-Ekong and Calvin Bassey.
English Premier League stars Alex Iwobi and Frank Onyeka are set to operate as the double pivot in the middle of the park, with Zaidu and Ola Aina taking up the left wing-back and right wing-back position respectively.
Up front, reigning African Footballer of the Year, Victor Osimhen is flanked by Ademola Lookman and Samuel Chukwueze in what looks like a 3-4-3 formation.
The 2023 Africa Cup of Nations final will kick off at 2100 hours Nigerian time at the Alassane Ouattara Stadium, Abidjan.
Nigeria's starting lineup against Ivory Coast (2023 AFCON final) : Nwabali; Ajayi, Troost-Ekong, Bassey; Aina, Zaidu, Onyeka, Iwobi; Lookman, Chukwueze, Osimhen
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles' AFCON star Lookman training on his own ahead of AC Milan v Atalanta
- 'One of our best players' - Leicester coach provides injury update on Super Eagles midfielder Ndidi
- Premier League and Serie A calling: Is it time for Boniface to bid farewell to Bayer Leverkusen?
- Super Eagles duo Iwobi, Bassey hoping Fulham can hurt Man Utd for the first time in nineteen games
- Chelsea post scouts to run the rule over Osimhen in Napoli's 1-1 draw against Barcelona
- Super Eagles centre-back resumes training at Boavista after contracting malaria at AFCON
- 'I don't care about anything, just to score' - Flying Eagles invitee Joseph says he models game after Haaland
- Gabriel Osho: Three reasons Nigerian Federation should make another move for Luton Town CB
- Why William Troost-Ekong shone in AFCON 2023
- Nigerian football stars to watch out for
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football