BAYELSA UNITED crash out of Champions LeaguePublished: March 01, 2010
Nigeria champions Bayelsa United have crashed out of this year’s CAF Champions League after they could only draw 2-2 with visiting Gazelle of Tchad in a first round, second leg match on Sunday.
The visitors from Tchad looked set for an upset as early as the 24th minute when Greyanda Fiacre opened scoring. However, Osas Okoro drew the hosts level 20 minutes later before Mannir Ubale gave them the lead from the penalty spot in the 69th minute.
Gazelle notched the back-breaking goal a minute from full time when Madalngue Cesar converted from the penalty spot.
Bayelsa thus exited from Africa’s richest club competition 3-2 on aggregate as they lost the first match 1-0 a fortnight ago.
Bayelsa had threatened to boycott Sunday’s match to protest the non-payment of their allowances and bonuses and were only persuaded to play after promises were made by top officials that some of these payments will be cleared very soon.
Nigeria’s other representatives in the competition, Heartland FC, will take on Tiko United from Cameroon in the second round later this month. Tiko United defeated Vital’o of Burundi 5-3 on penalties after aggregate scores stood at 4-4.
Heartland, who were beaten by TP Mazembe of DR Congo in last year’s final, outscored another Cameroonian side, Coton Sport, in the 2009 edition of the annual tournament.
In the CAF Confederation Cup, Warri Wolves defeated Atletico Olympic of Burundi 1-0 at the Warri City Stadium to qualify for the next stage of the competition on a 2-1 aggregate.
Former schoolboy international Omonigho Temile was again the hero for the Wolves after he struck after 72 minutes in front of anxious home fans. Temile also scored his team’s goal in the 1-1 draw in Burundi.
Football News 24/7
- Osimhen Wins 'Nigerian Golden Shoe'; Nwakaeme Only Player To Register Double Figures Goals & Assists
- Three Reasons Why Fans Should Be Happy With Bayern Munich's Link With Everton Striker Henry
- Adebayo Azeez's Newport County Suffer Playoff Heartbreak Vs Tranmere Rovers
- 'It Can Affect His Value' - FC Midtjylland Ready To Sell N3.1B-Rated Onuachu Before AFCON
- Aston Villa In Pole Position To Sign Arsenal, Man City Target Dubbed The 'New Patrick Vieira'
- Three Nigerian Wingers Travel With Arsenal First Team To Baku Ahead Of Europa League Final
- Official : Nigeria U20 Invitee Offered Professional Deal By Watford
- 'We Need To Start Looking At Chukwueze' - NFF Boss Unhappy No Nigerian Among Three Africans That Shared EPL Golden Boot
- The Real Reason Rosenborg Whizkid Ogbu Was Omitted From Nigeria U20 Starting Line-up
- Danny Shittu Watches Flying Eagles Star Michael Vs Qatar; Aigbogun Hails Bologna Midfielder
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football