Manchester United's Argentina First-Choice GK Ruled Out Of World Cup With Knee InjuryPublished: May 22, 2018
Manchester United's Argentina international goalkeeper Sergio Romero will not be in goal when the two-time world champions face Nigeria at the Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg on June 26.
The Argentine Football Association has confirmed that Romero injured his right knee and will not be one of the 23 players going to Russia for what would have been his third World Cup.
The 31-year-old suffered a knee injury in Argentina's 6-1 loss to Spain in March, he stayed out of action until May 13 when he was chosen by Mourinho to be in goal vs Watford on the final day of the Premier League season.
''Sergio Romero suffered today a joint blockage in his right knee that will leave him out of the squad,'' Argentina Football Association tweeted.
The former Racing Club star has faced Nigeria three times in his senior career, posting a shutout at the 2010 World Cup, conceded once in a friendly in 2011, and let in two goals in Brazil 2014.
Chelsea star Willy Caballero and Franco Armani of Club Atlético River Plate are the two goalkeepers left in Argentina's World Cup squad but manager Jorge Sampaoli will name a replacement for Romero in the coming days.
Photo Credit : afa.com.ar
Football News 24/7
- Super Eagles Fans Are All Saying The Same Thing About Ndidi After Picking Up Yellow Card Vs Libya
- What Chelsea, Leicester City Said About Nigeria's Thrilling 3-2 Win Over Libya
- 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: Super Eagles Stars React To Dramatic 3-2 Win Over Libya
- Six Takeaways From Nigeria's Win Vs Libya : Uzoho's Jitters, Aina's Mixed Grill, Ndidi Unsung Hero, Ighalo Classy
- Rohr Reacts To Super Eagles Losing Two-Goal Lead Vs Libya Prior To Ighalo's Winner
- Super Eagles Player Ratings: Ighalo Top Man; Musa Asset; Iwobi Genuine No 10; Aina Shows Offensive Prowess
- Libya 2 Nigeria 3: Magnificent Ighalo Nets Winner, Musa Strikes As Eagles Go Top Of Group E
- Ex-Liverpool & England Wing Wizard Walters Reveals His Father Played For Nigeria
- 'A Lot Of Super Eagles Are Experienced Despite Their Young Age' - Aina Pleased To Play With Good Players
- Chelsea Loanee Omeruo Dropped From Super Eagles 18-Man Squad; Ajayi, Idowu In; Moses Simon Out
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football