The Real Reason Rosenborg Whizkid Ogbu Was Omitted From Nigeria U20 Starting Line-upPublished: May 25, 2019
Rosenborg wonderkid Igho Ogbu was one of the surprise omissions in the Flying Eagles starting line-up in their World Cup opener against Qatar on Friday evening.
Speculation was rife in the local media that the former Golden Eaglets captain had been named in the starting XI, only to be withdrawn from the squad after failing a late fitness test.
Allnigeriasoccer.com can specially report that Ogbu not making the starting line-up was a tactical decision by manager Paul Aigbogun as the player is in excellent physical condition.
Aigbogun took most people by surprise by opting to start Amuneke Academy of Lagos player Aliu Salawudeen in the heart of defense along with Valentine Ozonwafor.
In truth, the Nigeria U20 boss had already made up his mind to start Salawudeen and Ozornwafor in central defense right from the first workout in Katowice as they played together during the training games.
As for Nnamdi Ofoborh, the Bournemouth midfielder was given a chance to force his way into the starting line-up for the game vs Qatar but was not up to scratch in the training sessions.
Football News 24/7
- Arsenal manager Arteta identifies two unique qualities of 'hungry boy' Folarin Balogun
- Genk name asking price for Onuachu; expected to cost more than ex-stars Ndidi, De Bruyne, Benteke
- Nigeria Football Federation in contact with Iwobi over move for Crystal Palace and Liverpool wingers
- Anjorin involved in Chelsea's final training session ahead of blockbuster FA Cup clash vs Man City
- Edozie on target as Manchester City thrash Manchester United 3-0 in Premier League 2
- Fulham boss Parker confirms Super Eagles target Lookman will be fit to face Arsenal
- Ex-Man City star Onuoha baffled as to why NFF miss out on dual-eligible players to England
- 'I understand the passion' - Everton winger Iwobi on if he has grown to hate Liverpool yet
- Udinese and Genoa go head-to-head for Crotone's all-time top scorer Simy
- Leicester striker Iheanacho on his form and breaking FA Cup record held by Chelsea icon Drogba
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football