How AFCON Participation Could Affect Iwobi's Chances At Arsenal Next SeasonPublished: July 17, 2019
Almost all European clubs have started their pre-season tour in preparation for the upcoming season.
Arsenal are currently in the United States for their pre-season camping but they are without one of their highly-rated attacking midfielders cum wingers Alex Iwobi who is still with Nigeria in Egypt.
The 23-year-old has been an integral part of Gernort Rohr's team right from the start of the tournament up to their last game which will take place later today against Tunisia.
As much as it's a great news that the winger is the only Arsenal player left in the competition, Iwobi's participation at the AFCON poses a huge threat to his chances of being an integral part of Unai Emery's team next season.
Firstly, his active participation in AFCON up to this moment means he won't be available for selection at the early stages of next Premier league campaign.
This will definitely create an opportunity for new players to lay claim for his position at the North London club.
Secondly, Iwobi currently misses the chance to showcase more of his abilities to Unai Emery before the 2019-20 season, which will somehow reduce the obvious trust Emery had in his ability last term.
Though the Nigerian playmaker is expected to rest for three weeks before linking up with his Arsenal teammates, tiredness and loss of form could find their way into the player's game when he finally returns to the Emirates Stadium.
Having failed to reach the final match of the ongoing AFCON 2019 tournament, Iwobi and his Super Eagles teammates will take on Tunisia in a third-place play-off match later today.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- Arsenal Interim Coach Ljungberg Explains Why Saka Was Upset With Him Before Standard Liege Tie
- 'Saka Is Genuinely What Chelsea Fans Think CHO Is' - Fans Hail Arsenal Creator After Goal & Assist
- Dinamo's Iyayi Misses Chance To Show Off To Chelsea, Liverpool, Wolves, Barca, 10 Other Euro Teams
- UEL: Teenage Nigerian Midfielder Makes Arsenal Matchday 18 For The First Time In Career
- QPR Star Who Wants To Play For Nigeria Explains Thinking Behind Wonder Goal Vs Birmingham
- African Giants Al Ahly Suffer Blow In Pursuit Of Blessing Eleke
- Sky Sports Pundit Names The Nigerian Player Likely To Start For Arsenal Vs Standard Liege
- Super Eagles Winger Needs 5 More Goals Or 9 Games To Become A Permanent Nantes Player
- 'He Can Play At The Three Front Positions' - Rohr Impressed By Versatility Of Bordeaux Striker Maja
- Top 5 Youngest Nigerian Players To Score In Champions League As Barcelona's Fati Makes History
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football