How AFCON Participation Could Affect Iwobi's Chances At Arsenal Next SeasonPublished: July 17, 2019
Almost all European clubs have started their pre-season tour in preparation for the upcoming season.
Arsenal are currently in the United States for their pre-season camping but they are without one of their highly-rated attacking midfielders cum wingers Alex Iwobi who is still with Nigeria in Egypt.
The 23-year-old has been an integral part of Gernort Rohr's team right from the start of the tournament up to their last game which will take place later today against Tunisia.
As much as it's a great news that the winger is the only Arsenal player left in the competition, Iwobi's participation at the AFCON poses a huge threat to his chances of being an integral part of Unai Emery's team next season.
Firstly, his active participation in AFCON up to this moment means he won't be available for selection at the early stages of next Premier league campaign.
This will definitely create an opportunity for new players to lay claim for his position at the North London club.
Secondly, Iwobi currently misses the chance to showcase more of his abilities to Unai Emery before the 2019-20 season, which will somehow reduce the obvious trust Emery had in his ability last term.
Though the Nigerian playmaker is expected to rest for three weeks before linking up with his Arsenal teammates, tiredness and loss of form could find their way into the player's game when he finally returns to the Emirates Stadium.
Having failed to reach the final match of the ongoing AFCON 2019 tournament, Iwobi and his Super Eagles teammates will take on Tunisia in a third-place play-off match later today.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea Receive Bad News From Fenerbahce On Ex-Super Eagles Star Moses
- New Crewe Alexandra Signing Anene Reveals Secret Behind Jersey Number, Targets For The Season
- Four Talking Points From Nigeria Players Performances In Europe
- Chelsea-Owned Winger Moses Earns Team Of The Week Honours In Turkey
- Chelsea Hero Nevin On Abraham : Chelsea Fans Showed Their True Colours Vs Leicester City
- Two Nigeria-Eligible Central Defenders Named To Official Major League Soccer Team of the Week
- Confirmed : Former Nigeria U23 Captain Joins Albanian Side FK Kukesi
- Chelsea Coach Lampard Watches Anjorin Score Against Liverpool In Premier League 2
- Chelsea Loanee Moses Scores And Assists For Fenerbahce With Cotton Wool In Left Ear
- Official : U17 World Cup Winner Kingsley Michael Extends Bologna Contract
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football