Balogun Tips Arsenal For Premier League International Cup Triumph After Goal Vs Leicester CityPublished: January 18, 2020
Arsenal youngster of Nigerian heritage Folarin Balogun was among the goals Friday night in Arsenal's 3-0 win over Leicester City in the Premier League International Cup and believes the Gunners will be one of the favourites for the title.
Another Nigerian James Olayinka was also on target in the game with the other strike from Robbie Burton from the penalty spot.
"It was a good victory, the boys worked hard. We played Leicester earlier on in the season and it was a tough game, so it was nice to get a win and a clean sheet today (Friday night)," Balogun born of a Nigerian father from the South Western part of Nigerian and of the Yoruba ethnic race told arsenal.com.
Speaking to the club's website on his goal, Balogun revealed the efforts he has been putting in training to improve his finishing skills.
"It's always nice to help the team. I just thought as the ball was on the edge of the box and bouncing, I've been practising on my weak foot, so I thought 'why not?'. Luckily for me it's gone into the top corner.
Balogun who had been sidelined by injury for a large spells in the season went on to highlight the importance of a clean sheet in their matches.
"It's really good to get a clean sheet. Steve's (Steve Bould) been telling us to keep clean sheets, and we know that keeping a clean sheet sends a big message to other teams so we were happy to keep it today.
"I think we have a strong chance of going far. We're all about sending statements out, so I think winning all three games shows that we're a strong side and I think if we carry on putting in performances like we done today we can go far in this tournament," Balogun concluded.
The Gunners are atop Group A of the tournament with nine points from three games ahead of Leicester City and Dinamo Zagreb who are on three points while Spanish side Villarreal are at the foot of the log with no point.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- Middlesbrough Coach Explains Why Akpom's Goal On Debut Will Do Him A World Of Good
- Tottenham Hotspur Hand Trial To Nigerian Defender Formerly With London Rivals Arsenal
- Chelsea Hero Mikel Provides Game-winning Assist For Stoke City In Win Vs Preston North End
- EPL Wrap : Eze Full Debut; Ajayi & West Brom Throw Away 3-0 Lead Vs Chelsea; Iwobi Subbed In; Ighalo Not In 18
- 'He'll Be A Great Asset For Us' - Wycombe Boss Admits Everton's Adeniran Was Signed To Replace Ofoborh
- Reading Running The Rule Over Released Man Utd Defender Nkwonta Ahead Of Potential Transfer
- Sodje's Nephew Scores First Competitive Hat-trick To Inspire Man City To 3-1 Win Vs Liverpool U18
- 1994 AFCON Winner Ekoku Blames Brighton's Poor Game Management For Loss To Man Utd
- First Squad Involvement For Chelsea's Attacking Fullback Abu In U18 Premier League
- 'He Is Playing Very, Very Well With Nigeria' - Rohr Backs Bordeaux's Kalu To Rediscover Form
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football