Balogun Tips Arsenal For Premier League International Cup Triumph After Goal Vs Leicester CityPublished: January 18, 2020
Arsenal youngster of Nigerian heritage Folarin Balogun was among the goals Friday night in Arsenal's 3-0 win over Leicester City in the Premier League International Cup and believes the Gunners will be one of the favourites for the title.
Another Nigerian James Olayinka was also on target in the game with the other strike from Robbie Burton from the penalty spot.
"It was a good victory, the boys worked hard. We played Leicester earlier on in the season and it was a tough game, so it was nice to get a win and a clean sheet today (Friday night)," Balogun born of a Nigerian father from the South Western part of Nigerian and of the Yoruba ethnic race told arsenal.com.
Speaking to the club's website on his goal, Balogun revealed the efforts he has been putting in training to improve his finishing skills.
"It's always nice to help the team. I just thought as the ball was on the edge of the box and bouncing, I've been practising on my weak foot, so I thought 'why not?'. Luckily for me it's gone into the top corner.
Balogun who had been sidelined by injury for a large spells in the season went on to highlight the importance of a clean sheet in their matches.
"It's really good to get a clean sheet. Steve's (Steve Bould) been telling us to keep clean sheets, and we know that keeping a clean sheet sends a big message to other teams so we were happy to keep it today.
"I think we have a strong chance of going far. We're all about sending statements out, so I think winning all three games shows that we're a strong side and I think if we carry on putting in performances like we done today we can go far in this tournament," Balogun concluded.
The Gunners are atop Group A of the tournament with nine points from three games ahead of Leicester City and Dinamo Zagreb who are on three points while Spanish side Villarreal are at the foot of the log with no point.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- 'Giggs, Bergkamp, Scholes Used To Give Those Passes' - Van Persie Compares Saka To Man Utd, Arsenal Legends
- 'They Scored A Goal We Shouldn't Concede' - Man Utd Star On Dennis' First Half Strike
- (Photo Confirmation) Arsenal's Nigerian Wonderkid Joins Scottish Giants Rangers
- Leicester City Provide Ndidi Injury Update That Will Worry Super Eagles Fans, Rohr
- Manchester United Name Super Eagles Striker As One Of The Three Key Players In Club Brugge Team
- NPFL Club Heartland Slapped With A Two-Window Transfer Ban By LMC
- Nigeria U23 Star Scores First Competitive Goal Of Thierry Henry's Reign As Montreal Impact Coach
- 'I Have Grown Up Playing On The Left Or No 10'- Iwobi On Ancelotti's Tactical Genius
- Super Eagles Still Among Top Three Teams In Africa In New FIFA Rankings
- Arsenal Face Losing Exciting Teenager Saka If They Fail To Qualify For European Competition
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football