20-Year-Old Bassey Impresses Steven Gerrard On Full Debut For Rangers In 5-1 Rout Of MotherwellPublished: September 27, 2020
Promising left-back Calvin Bassey impressed Rangers boss Steven Gerrard on his full debut as the Scottish Premiership table-toppers thrashed Motherwell 5-1 at Fir Park on Sunday afternoon.
Before today's contest, the summer signing from Leicester City had made three appearances off the bench for the Light Blues, against St. Mirren and Dundee United in the top-flight, and Willem II in the third round of the Europa League qualifiers.
With first choice left-back Borna Barisic struggling with fitness concerns, Gerrard opted to bring Bassey into the thick of things from the very beginning against Motherwell and the 20-year-old Nigerian put in an assured performance.
Two braces from James Tavernier and Cedric Itten, and a Jordan Jones' strike helped Rangers secure their seventh league win of the 2020-2021 season.
"Calvin [Bassey] is training ever so well and probably deserves an opportunity but whether I would have done it at Motherwell away is another question but Borna has some tightness up high around the hip area so he was a bit of a risk today and I was forced into that one," Gerrard was quoted as saying by Sky Sports post-match.
Meanwhile, Nigeria manager Gernot Rohr was handed a fitness boost ahead of the upcoming friendlies against Algeria and Tunisia, with Leon Balogun playing his first game for Rangers since August 12.
Against Motherwell, the central defender entered the game as a substitute on the hour mark.
Photo Credit : rangers.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Physical Defender Awe Reveals Arsenal Snatched Him From Under The Noses Of Crystal Palace
- Chelsea Hero Mikel Misses First League Game Of The Season For Stoke City
- One Last Chance For Dortmund Striker To Break UCL Record Held By Ex-Chelsea Star Babayaro
- Charismatic Midfielder Likened To Axel Witsel Gives Selection Hint Ahead Of Arsenal's UEL Clash
- Leicester City Coach Confirms Ndidi Will Play Against Zorya Luhansk In Europa League
- Chelsea Product Of Nigerian Descent Akpan Trying His Luck At Football League Club
- Manchester United Striker Ighalo Delighted To Make Champions League Debut Vs PSG
- 'Why Take Off Cavani And Bring On Ighalo' - Man Utd Fans Baffled By Solskjaer's Decision To Hand UCL Debut To Nigerian
- Photo : Nigeria-Eligible Teenager Involved In Arsenal's Final Workout Pre-Rapid Vienna
- Super Eagles Striker Osimhen To Miss Napoli's Europa League Clash Against AZ Alkmaar
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football