Bordeaux's Kalu With Match-winning Assist On His Return But Suffers Injury RelapsePublished: November 21, 2020
Samuel Kalu supplied the match-winning assist on his return to action after spending six weeks on the sidelines as Bordeaux earned a 1-0 road win against Stade Rennais in a French Ligue 1 match on Friday evening, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.
Prior to yesterday's fixture, the Nigeria international had not figured for club and country since he went off injured in the second half of the Super Eagles 1-0 loss to Algeria in an international friendly on October 9.
Eight minutes before half time, Hatem Ben Arfa netted the game winner as he fired a shot past goalkeeper Gomis after Kalu spotted his run and picked him out.
Bordeaux manager Jean-Louis Gasset suggested at the pre-match press conference ahead of the visit to Rennes that the Super Eagles star would not be rushed back into action and his surprise decision to hand him a shock start backfired on him when the Nigerian suffered a relapse of his injury.
According to L'Equipe, Kalu made way for Rémi Oudin at the hour mark after feeling discomfort in the hamstring, the same injury that kept him on the sidelines for several weeks.
One-cap Nigeria international Josh Maja started and was in action for 60 minutes against Rennes.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- West Ham's Odubeko named Premier League 2 Player of the Month for April 2021
- Super Eagles striker Dessers has doubts about his future at Racing Genk
- Memorable Manchester Derbies of all time
- Confirmed: Promising midfielder James Olayinka returns to parent club Arsenal
- Former Super Eagles invitee named in Turkish Super Lig Team of the Season
- Newcastle United face competition from Portuguese giants Benfica in race to sign Nigerian defender
- Hodgson says Crystal Palace need Eze more than Manchester United and Manchester City
- Racing Genk in advanced talks to sign youngest Nigerian player to feature in La Liga
- Lazio target Simy receives attractive offer from English Championship club
- Oshoala enters game as sub as Barca thrash Chelsea in UWCL final with Abramovich in attendance
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football