Top Rivalries Lined Up Ahead Of European ReturnPublished: February 12, 2021
The top guns in Europe are readying for the return of continental football and it is going to be hectic in the next few weeks.
However, before embarking on their European exploits, domestic action takes precedence this weekend with some top matches around.
In one of the biggest games lined up this weekend, top rivalry will be renewed when Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola takes on Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League.
City have been in imperious form and this presents a great chance to end their recent slump against Tottenham while at the same time Pep getting one over Mourinho.
Tottenham are on a very poor run and nothing seems to be going their way following their elimination from the FA Cup by Everton in a nine-goal thriller.
On the flipside, City have won each of their last 14 matches and are unbeaten in 22 matches. What a time for Mou to be facing Pep!
The two sides will face off again in April in the League Cup final and this is just a dress rehearsal of the rivalry.
Very few bookmakers are putting money on a shock Spurs win and on SportyTrader, with the rivalry expected to be expressed by the players out there, the football experts predictions are tipping the game to produce at least three goals.
In Italy, four of the teams currently occupying the top seven slots in the league will be facing off in matches that will have a great impact not only on the top four but also on the title race.
After the controversy surrounding their fixture earlier in the season, Napoli and Juventus are set to face off 13th February.
Their October clash was called off after Napoli failed to travel to Turin due to Covid-19 restrictions and a harsh decision saw Juventus awarded a 3-0 win and Napoli slapped with a one-point penalty.
However, they appealed successfully and the game will be played after all.
Napoli have a game in hand and three points outside the top four; that emphasizes how crucial this game is to them.
For Juventus, who also have a game in hand, three points will see them close in on league leaders Milan to just four points. With a seven-game unbeaten run, Juventus are tipped to win this.
Still in Serie A, Internazionale host Lazio with the hosts hoping to leap above Milan at the top while Lazio are looking to rise to third place at the expense of Juventus. In their form this season, Inter are being tipped to carry the day here.
In Germany, league leaders Bayern Munich are away at the Club World Cup in Asia but their lead is not under any threat.
Their seven-point lead could however be cut by Friday as second-placed Leipzig go in the hunt against Augsburg. The biggest match of the weekend there, however, will pit Wolfsburg against Borussia Monchengladbach.
Wolfsburg are enjoying great form and head to the game unbeaten in seven matches, with just one loss in 10. They have just two losses in the last 20 Bundesliga matches.
This game however, is not likely to change the composition of the top three even as Wolfsburg are tipped to win, based on their recent form.
Photo Credit : sscnapoli.it
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea release promising Nigerian midfielder ahead of 2021-2022 season
- Super Eagles striker Osimhen named in Napoli's 24-man provisional squad to face Bologna
- Former Man City schoolboy of Nigerian descent named in Man Utd provisional squad for derby
- 'He's done it again' - Ex-Barcelona striker salutes Iheanacho after another goal for Leicester City
- Red-hot Orlando City loanee Daryl Dike scores third goal in four games as Barnsley make history
- 'The Nigerian has been their star man' - Ex-Norwich striker praises Iheanacho after excellent display vs Brighton
- Wolverhampton Wanderers urged to sign Fulham winger Lookman if Traore is sold
- 'Tella was the man of the match today' - Southampton coach lauds Nigeria target after brilliant display
- Miguel Azeez's brother, Femi makes his senior debut as Reading thrash Sheffield Wednesday
- Ex-Man Utd star Hargreaves hails Southampton's Tella as best player on the pitch vs Sheffield United
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football