Napoli boss explains why he decided not to risk Osimhen for Thursday's clash vs LegiaPublished: November 03, 2021
Napoli manager Luciano Spalletti resisted the temptation to include Victor Osimhen in his matchday squad to face Legia Warsaw in the Europa League on Thursday.
The Nigeria international is on the road to full recovery but the game against the Polish giants has come too soon for the striker.
Spalletti underlined that rushing Osimhen, Insigne and Fabian Ruiz back into action could worsen their injuries.
On Tuesday, the Super Eagle had an individual recovery programme on the pitch and had an individual session in the gym on Wednesday.
Speaking to reporters at Wednesday's press conference, Spalletti said : "I didn't bring Fabian , Osimhen and Insigne with us for an addition of evaluations.
"Lorenzo has once again strained his muscle: we have other games in the near future and I have other players who can replace him.
"For those I left at home there is a risk that their conditions could worsen , so I decided not to take them".
Osimhen has been Napoli's most important player in the Europa League with four goals registered in three appearances.
Napoli find themselves in second place in Group C of the Europa League before tomorrow's game at Stadion Wojska Polskiego, Warsaw.
Photo Credit : uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Irish-Nigerian teenager in the running for West Ham United Goal of the Month
- N21.8m Debt: Select/Emeks Sports slam Heartland FC with N100m lawsuit
- Two players of Nigerian descent named in latest SPFL Team of the Week
- Balogun has three Leagues in mind ahead of temporary departure from Arsenal
- Super Eagles star to reject new Rangers deal amid interest from Watford, Brentford, Palace
- Versatile Nigerian defender in advanced talks with Tottenham Hotspur over new deal
- Ex-African POTY defends Tuchel over decision not to start Chelsea's record acquisition
- Racing Genk chief backs Super Eagles striker to be a contender for the Golden Shoe
- Nigerian GK details how he joined Colchester after being on the radar of Norwich, AFC Wimbledon
- Iwobi makes cameo as Everton beat Arsenal in dramatic circumstances; Okonkwo benched
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football