EFL Trophy : Nigeria-eligible midfielder scores for Arsenal in 4-1 rout of Chelsea at Emirates StadiumPublished: January 12, 2022
Arsenal are through to the quarterfinals of the EFL Trophy following a 4-1 rout of Chelsea in a London derby staged at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night.
Several players of Nigerian descent were on parade for the Gunners with Mazeed Ogungbo, James Olayinka and Ryan Alebiosu handed starts, Tim Akinola and Joel Ideho entered the game as substitutes, and goalkeeper Ovie Ejeheri was a non-playing substitute.
As for Chelsea, Norway youth international of Nigerian descent Bryan Fiabema was introduced off the bench with fifteen minutes left on the clock and 2019 Golden Eaglets invitee Prince Adegoke watched proceedings from the bench.
Midfielder Olayinka diverted a shot from a teammate into the net to open the scoring in the tenth minute but had to go off injured midway through the first half after suffering an injury as he blocked a powerful shot.
Jayden Wareham leveled the score from outside the box on 38 minutes after a counter attack but the home team were in front at the break courtesy of Biereth's close range finish in the 42nd minute.
It became comfortable for Arsenal in the second half thanks to goals from Giraud-Hutchinson and Marcelo Flores.
Exciting fullbacks Ogungbo and Alebiosu provided the assists for Arsenal's second and third goals.
Arsenal will face League One side Wigan Athletic in the quarterfinals of the Papa John's Trophy with the game scheduled to take place the week commencing January 24.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Racing Genk boss not ruling out departure of Super Eagles striker this summer
- Confirmed : Leicester City loan out Belgian-Nigerian striker
- PL 2 : Flying Eagles-eligible midfielder makes season debut for Manchester United
- Premier League at 30 : Nigeria's all-time PL XI featuring ex-Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars
- Official : Chelsea sign another highly-rated 2003-born player
- Super Eagles star pictured training with Ajax ahead of possible debut vs Sparta Rotterdam
- Kehinde thrashing out terms on new Randers deal ahead of potential loan move to Sivasspor
- 'He's a very important player' - Almeria striker wants to spend another season with Super Eagles star
- Super Eagles winger & Nigeria U23 star ruled out of Watford's trip to Preston North End
- 'He's a player for the future' - Tottenham manager gives his thoughts on the signing of Udogie
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football