VfL Wolfsburg attempted to sign 4-cap Nigeria international in January transfer windowPublished: March 03, 2022
According to authoritative German sports magazine Kicker via Fussballtransfers, Bundesliga club VfL Wolfsburg attempted to sign Union Berlin center forward Taiwo Awoniyi in the January transfer window but were unsuccessful.
VfL Wolfsburg also wanted the 2013 U17 World Cup winner before his permanent move to Union Berlin in July 2021.
Awoniyi has been one of the revelations of the season in Germany, scoring fifteen goals in 32 appearances across all competitions.
The 24-year-old became Union Berlin's record acquisition when he signed from Liverpool for 6.5 million euros after previously playing on loan at the club.
Wolfsburg did transfer business with Union Berlin in the winter transfer market, bringing in Germany international Max Kruse but Awoniyi was their primary target to strengthen the attack.
Awoniyi wasn't interested in moving to Wolfsburg because he has found a permanent club after several loan spells during his time in Liverpool.
He has totaled four appearances for the Super Eagles, three of them earned at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations, where he was manager Augustine Eguavoen's preferred choice to lead the attack due to the unavailability of Victor Osimhen, Odion Ighalo, Paul Onuachu and Emmanuel Dennis.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Passport which expired in 2018 blocked Arsenal winger from making Flying Eagles' AFCON squad
- Tottenham Hotspur offer new deal to Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Flying Eagles coach names three foreign-based stars in 30-man provisional AFCON squad
- 'Two goals of exceptionally quality' - Reims coach hails 'incredible' on-loan Gunner Balogun
- Arteta promotes U15 player to Arsenal first team training, promising GK eligible for Nigeria
- Pundit omits Madueke as he names the new players likely to be included in Chelsea's UCL squad
- 'That was going in' - McFadden reacts to Forest striker Dennis nearly scoring v Man Utd
- Arsenal loanee Balogun steals the show with first career hat-trick against Lorient
- Zambia enough test for Flying Eagles ahead U20 AFCON - Former West Brom defender
- Danish club to pocket N0.8b from Genk's sale of Onuachu to Southampton
Football News 24/7
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football