VfL Wolfsburg attempted to sign 4-cap Nigeria international in January transfer windowPublished: March 03, 2022
According to authoritative German sports magazine Kicker via Fussballtransfers, Bundesliga club VfL Wolfsburg attempted to sign Union Berlin center forward Taiwo Awoniyi in the January transfer window but were unsuccessful.
VfL Wolfsburg also wanted the 2013 U17 World Cup winner before his permanent move to Union Berlin in July 2021.
Awoniyi has been one of the revelations of the season in Germany, scoring fifteen goals in 32 appearances across all competitions.
The 24-year-old became Union Berlin's record acquisition when he signed from Liverpool for 6.5 million euros after previously playing on loan at the club.
Wolfsburg did transfer business with Union Berlin in the winter transfer market, bringing in Germany international Max Kruse but Awoniyi was their primary target to strengthen the attack.
Awoniyi wasn't interested in moving to Wolfsburg because he has found a permanent club after several loan spells during his time in Liverpool.
He has totaled four appearances for the Super Eagles, three of them earned at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations, where he was manager Augustine Eguavoen's preferred choice to lead the attack due to the unavailability of Victor Osimhen, Odion Ighalo, Paul Onuachu and Emmanuel Dennis.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- First Premier League call-up: 15yo son of ex-Super Eagles striker could make Wolves history in Newcastle
- Ex-Barcelona midfielder believes Zirkzee fully deserves to be named in Netherlands provisional squad
- 17 goal involvements in 24 games: Rangers striker Dessers explains why he's flourishing under Clement
- Struggling for game time at loan club: Super Eagles-eligible midfielder back playing for Man Utd U21s
- Everton, Crystal Palace or Nottingham Forest: Which club would suit Super Eagles midfielder Onyedika best?
- PL2: Nwaneri scores pick of the goals but misses penalty as Arsenal come from behind to beat Chelsea
- Tottenham hold advantage over Man Utd in race for Dutch-Nigerian striker
- Will Jose Peseiro's exit derail Super Eagles path to 2026 World Cup?
- Confirmed team news: Ndidi starts partial training at Leicester but ruled out of QPR clash
- Tottenham coach provides update on Nigeria-eligible fullback ahead of London derby
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football