'There's no doubting this kid's ability' - Man Utd legend compares Nwaneri to FodenPublished: September 21, 2022
Manchester United legend Rio Ferdinand reckons that Anglo-Nigerian wonderkid Ethan Nwaneri is on the same level as Phil Foden when the Manchester City midfielder was at a similar age.
Manager Mikel Arteta named Nwaneri in the matchday squad against Brenford following the unavailability of Martin Ødegaard, Emile Smith Rowe, Mohamed Elneny and Oleksandr Zinchenko, who are all capable of playing in the middle of the park.
Just before the end of the game, history was made as the Arsenal schoolboy came off the bench to replace Fabio Vieira.
Born March 2007, Nwaneri became the youngest player to debut in the English Premier League aged 15 years and 181 days, surpassing previous record holder Harvey Elliot, who was 16 years and 30 days old when he played for Fulham in May 2019.
Arsenal fans taunted the Brentford supporters when Nwaneri entered the pitch, singing 'He's only 15 years old, that's how rubbish you are'.
"There’s no doubting this kid’s ability, " Ferdinand told his YouTube channel.
"I've heard from coaches that are at the club and from various different people in the game at that level that there aren't many 15-year-olds in the last 10 or so years that have got the ability that this guy's been showing on a consistent basis.
"We are talking the Fodens of this world. At 15, he's at a similar level they're talking."
It is understood that one of the reasons Arsenal handed a debut to Nwaneri at such a young age is that they want him to sign a new deal amid interest from Premier League rivals.
Photo Credit : arsenal.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Klopp questions red card shown to Jota for foul on Udogie; Tottenham defender should have been sent off too
- Players with the most flair in Chelsea squad: Chukwuemeka picks Madueke, two others
- 'You're playing against big players' - Tottenham left-back Udogie on his 1v1 duels with Saka and Salah
- History-maker: Southampton loanee Onuachu goes into the record book after third goal for Trabzonspor
- Napoli coach explains why Osimhen was not on penalty duty in win against Lecce
- 2023 Flying Eagles invitee receives first call-up for PL game as Crystal Palace beat Man Utd
- PL2: Shoretire scores as Manchester United bring an end to their winless run
- 'He looks exciting' - Tottenham manager Postecolgou on why Udogie was incorporated into starting XI
- Most expensive player in Bundesliga history: Okocha impressed with Kane's start to life at Bayern
- Arsenal insider suggests Nwaneri is injured after missing back-to-back PL2 games, Brentford clash
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football