‘Every striker wants to score a goal’ - Nottingham Forest star Awoniyi after firing blanks v Algeria BPublished: September 24, 2022
Nottingham Forest star Taiwo Awoniyi fired blanks as the Super Eagles were held to a 2-2 draw by the home-based Algeria national team in a friendly staged at the Chahid Hamlaoui Stadium in Constantine on Friday evening.
In the absence of Victor Osimhen and Sadiq Umar, Super Eagles coach Jose Peseiro named Awoniyi on a 24-man roster for the friendly matches in September.
Having missed the summer matches against Mexico, Ecuador, Sierra Leone and São Tomé and Príncipe, Awoniyi played his first game under the Portuguese football tactician yesterday, leading the Super Eagles attack from the very beginning of the game.
Awoniyi noted the job of a striker is to score goals and to assist his teammates to get on the scoresheet.
Speaking to NFF TV after the game, Awoniyi stated : "It was a good game, unfortunately we didn't win the game but it's a game that helps us to get going, to know each other and to understand each other's way of playing, and this is what this game is for.
"Like I always say every striker wants to score a goal but there's more to striking roles. Your job also is to bring your player into play, to bring your player into positions to score goals.
"It will be a good game for both countries. Algeria is a country with a lot of players as well.
"As a team, it's a game that will make us to get to know each other more and to keep us focused on the next challenge."
Awoniyi has managed just one goal in four appearances for the Super Eagles and it came against Sudan at the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in January.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Falcons ratings: Kanu, Okoronkwo grab headlines; Nnadozie can't be judged; Okwuchukwu one to watch
- Official: MLS club St. Louis City SC exercise 2024 contract option on Nigerian forward
- WAFCONQ: Five takeaways from Super Falcons convincing 5-0 win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing win
- Nigeria-eligible winger who trained with Chelsea first team this month nominated for Goal of the Month again
- 'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against Arsenal
- 'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in Bundesliga
- Super Eagles drop two spots in latest Fifa rankings after draws against Lesotho and Zimbabwe
- 'Shows I'm doing the right things' - Nathan Tella admits selection for Super Eagles has given him confidence
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football