Man Utd legend admits Bassey has not yet reached the level of Lisandro MartínezPublished: December 01, 2022
Legendary Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar has acknowledged that Calvin Bassey has not yet reached the level of Lisandro Martínez at Ajax Amsterdam.
The Dutch champions signed the Nigeria international from Glasgow Rangers for a fee of 23 million euros in the summer as a replacement for the Argentine who switched to the Red Devils.
Five months into his spell with the Amsterdam giants, Bassey has been heavily criticized by pundits and fans alike for failing to replicate the fantastic form shown by Martínez.
However, Ajax boss Alfred Schreuder continues to keep faith with the versatile Nigerian defender, handing the 22-year-old starts in eighteen consecutive matches before the World Cup break.
Ajax general manager Edwin van der Sar noted that Martinez is a top defender and that's the reason Bassey is finding it difficult to follow in the footsteps of the South American center back.
"Lisandro Martínez was a top defender with us last season, on the field and also in the dressing room. You know you can't just catch him," Van der Sar said to Voetbal International via Voetbal Zone.
"Calvin also has qualities, but will still have to improve to get to that level. That is very logical, and Martínez also had that development with us.
"Just think of two years ago, when Martínez spent a lot of time on the bench It takes time to grow, it is not fair to judge Bassey directly on the level of Martínez."
Bassey is currently with the Ajax Amsterdam squad at a training camp in Marbella, Spain in preparation for the second half of the 2022-2023 season.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Report : Fulham's Anglo-Nigerian player a target for Inter Milan to replace Slovakia center back
- London Football Awards : Olise battles Arsenal trio Saka, Martinelli, Saliba for Young POTY
- Napoli set African record price for Chelsea and Manchester United target Osimhen
- Former Fenerbahce winger Victor Moses prays for Turkish earthquake victims
- Iheanacho partnered in attack by Harry Kane, Mbeumo in Alan Shearer's PL TOTW
- Super Eagles legend questions Chelsea's signing of Enzo Fernandez, treatment of Aubameyang
- 'I think it's impossible' - Reims chief comments on the future of Arsenal loanee Balogun
- FA Youth Cup : PL youngest debutant helps Arsenal overcome two-goal deficit to beat Watford
- Super Eagles-eligible player helps Chelsea break 113-year-old club record after PL debut
- Global rankings of best take on players : Chukwueze on the same level as Tottenham striker Kane
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football