Man Utd legend admits Bassey has not yet reached the level of Lisandro MartínezPublished: December 01, 2022
Legendary Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar has acknowledged that Calvin Bassey has not yet reached the level of Lisandro Martínez at Ajax Amsterdam.
The Dutch champions signed the Nigeria international from Glasgow Rangers for a fee of 23 million euros in the summer as a replacement for the Argentine who switched to the Red Devils.
Five months into his spell with the Amsterdam giants, Bassey has been heavily criticized by pundits and fans alike for failing to replicate the fantastic form shown by Martínez.
However, Ajax boss Alfred Schreuder continues to keep faith with the versatile Nigerian defender, handing the 22-year-old starts in eighteen consecutive matches before the World Cup break.
Ajax general manager Edwin van der Sar noted that Martinez is a top defender and that's the reason Bassey is finding it difficult to follow in the footsteps of the South American center back.
"Lisandro Martínez was a top defender with us last season, on the field and also in the dressing room. You know you can't just catch him," Van der Sar said to Voetbal International via Voetbal Zone.
"Calvin also has qualities, but will still have to improve to get to that level. That is very logical, and Martínez also had that development with us.
"Just think of two years ago, when Martínez spent a lot of time on the bench It takes time to grow, it is not fair to judge Bassey directly on the level of Martínez."
Bassey is currently with the Ajax Amsterdam squad at a training camp in Marbella, Spain in preparation for the second half of the 2022-2023 season.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Cameroon 0 Nigeria 0: Echegini's goal ruled out as Super Falcons forced to goalless draw in Olympic qualifier
- Troost-Ekong namechecks two Super Eagles players behind his decision not to quit national team pre-AFCON
- 'One of the best players in the world' - Saudi Pro League target Troost-Ekong fancies playing with Ronaldo
- Ohale v Onguene: The key battle that could decide Super Falcons' clash against Indomitable Lionesses
- Super Eagles-eligible striker tight-lipped on future amid Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United links
- Seamless betting: How to use a single bonus across casino and sports
- Everything you need to know about Super Falcons mouthwatering clash against Indomitable Lionesses
- Super Eagles' AFCON star Lookman training on his own ahead of AC Milan v Atalanta
- 'One of our best players' - Leicester coach provides injury update on Super Eagles midfielder Ndidi
- Premier League and Serie A calling: Is it time for Boniface to bid farewell to Bayer Leverkusen?
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football