'He's a 6, an 8 and a 10' - Nigeria coach Peseiro hails Man Utd, Liverpool target Enzo FernandezPublished: December 24, 2022
Nigeria manager Jose Peseiro has praised the versatility of Benfica rising star Enzo Fernández after his outstanding performances at the 2022 World Cup.
Fernández started the tournament in Qatar on the substitute bench, making cameos against Saudi Arabia and Mexico, but quickly forced his way into manager Lionel Scaloni's starting lineup, going the distance in the last four matches played by Argentina.
The 21-year-old was considered the Best Young Player at the World Cup, an award previously won by Kylian Mbappe, Paul Pogba, Lukas Podolski and Thomas Müller.
A product of River Plate in his native Argentina, Fernández has also impressed in this season's UEFA Champions League and Portuguese Primeira Liga, making eighteen appearances combined in both competitions.
It is envisaged that he won't be a player of Benfica next year, with several glamorous clubs interested in his services.
Liverpool were admirers of Fernández even before his outstanding displays in Qatar and he's now attracting interest from Manchester United.
He has a release clause of 120 million euros and Benfica have received an offer from an unnamed club in the region of 100 million euros,
Peseiro underlined that Fernández has matured beyond his years and has tipped him to become one of the best players in the world in future.
"Some time ago I mentioned that with the maturity he shows, either Enzo is a genius or we are wrong about his age," Peseiro said to Record, via leonino.pt.
"At 21 years old, it's not normal to have the maturity he demonstrates. If everything goes according to normality and without injuries that disturb the growth process, Enzo will soon be one of the best midfielders in the world.
"It's not easy to play like he plays for Benfica. He is a 6, an 8 and a ten. He positions himself very well defensively, and when he has the ball he does what he did against Croatia.
"He fills the four moments of the game incredibly well. I don't know how long he will stay in Portugal, but it won't be much longer for sure."
Peseiro previously coached Portuguese clubs Porto, Sporting CP, Vitória Guimarães and Sporting Braga.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Deborah Abiodun reacts: Super Falcons to face Bayana Bayana in final phase of Paris 2024 Olympic qualifiers
- Three uncapped teenagers who could break into Super Eagles squad before 2026 World Cup
- Back in the groove: Rangers striker Cyriel Dessers named Scottish Premiership Player of the Week
- Race for Victor Osimhen: Chelsea concerned about missing out on African POTY
- Kickoff to profit mastering football betting with Tedbet
- 'Didn't give Rashford a kick' - PL all-time top scorer Shearer hails Bassey for pocketing Man Utd striker
- Fulham midfielder Iwobi named in PL TOTW alongside Arsenal and Man City stars
- Who is Sylvester Jasper? The Fulham product observed by Peseiro; insists he's good enough for Super Eagles
- Medical update: Porto's Super Eagles LB Zaidu operated on by Cristiano Ronaldo's most trusted doctor
- 'It was hard watching AFCON from home' - Udinese GK Okoye makes himself available for Super Eagles recall
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football