PL International Cup : 2023 Flying Eagles invitee on target for Arsenal in 7-2 loss to PSVPublished: February 08, 2023
Arsenal's development squad crashed out of the Premier League International Cup at the group stage after a 7-2 loss to Dutch club PSV Eindhoven at Meadow Park on Tuesday night.
With the big win against the young Gunners, PSV, who have in their ranks Lagos-born defender Emmanuel van de Blaak, qualified for the quarterfinals of the competition.
2023 Flying Eagles invitee Joel Ideho and center back Zach Awe were the two players of Nigerian descent that started for Arsenal.
There was no doubt that PSV Eindhoven were clearly the better side as they were three goals up inside the opening nine minutes but the Londoners were only one goal down at the break.
After Tielemans, Sealy and Van Duiven got on the score sheet for the visitors, Joel Ideho, who saw little of the ball in the opening stages, pulled a goal back in the 33rd minute, before Matthew Smith converted a penalty in stoppage time to further reduce the deficit and give Arsenal a false hope of a comeback.
Ideho, formerly at PSV's fierce rivals Ajax Amsterdam before leaving to join Arsenal in October 2020, capitalized on a defensive mistake and slotted home his fourth goal in Cup competitions this season.
In the second half, any thoughts of a comeback were extinguished after goals from Van Duiven and Nassoh restored PSV's three-goal advantage before the hour mark.
Priske scored in the 83rd minute and extended the lead in the 88th minute to take the scoreline to 7-2.
Emmanuel van de Blaak entered the game as a substitute midway through the second half.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Transfer guru reveals why Man Utd are pushing to sign Osimhen, price tag could increase
- 'Hopefully I can convince him' - England U21 boss to hold talks with Arsenal loanee Balogun
- Super Eagles invitee Aniagboso reveals Chelsea are one of his dream clubs; hails Omeruo, Uzoho
- Huddersfield LB still eligible for Nigeria after being unused sub for Equatorial Guinea in AFCONQ
- U23 AFCONQ fallout: NFF responsible for the failure of Olympic Eagles
- Osimhen's potential replacement : Royale Union Saint-Gilloise's Boniface should reject Napoli
- 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles ability
- 'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-up
- Hungry Fenerbahce fullback Osayi-Samuel is Super Eagles' new shining light
- Former Chelsea defender reacts after becoming 16th most capped Super Eagles player
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football