Peseiro emphasizes the need for Super Eagles stars to be more efficient in front of goalPublished: March 26, 2023
Speaking at the pre-match press conference ahead of his side's 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against Guinea-Bissau, Nigeria manager Jose Peseiro emphasized the need for the Super Eagles players to be more clinical in front of goal.
Three-time African champions Nigeria are on a poor run of form with three losses on the bounce, with the Portuguese in the dugout, and managed only one goal during that time, in a friendly against Algeria.
Against Guinea-Bissau in Abuja, Victor Osimhen came close to breaking the deadlock in the first half, Paul Onuachu's header sailed inches wide in the second half and Samuel Chukwueze missed two chances to equalize with curling shots.
Peseiro insisted that the Super Eagles outplayed the Djurtus on Friday but poor finishing cost them dearly.
"In the press conference after the first match, I gave my opinion about the match. After the video I saw yesterday I'm sure I spoke the truth," Peseiro told reporters.
"Our team had a good game but lost many opportunities on Friday. Of course, Guinea-Bissau deserved to win because they scored, our team didn't score, it's our responsibility.
"We need to repeat our performance tomorrow, create the same opportunities but of course with more efficiency.
"We need to score more times because it's not normal a team like us missed goals like we missed against Guinea-Bissau in the first game.
"We deserved much more in the match, we attacked every time. Second half we were on the offensive, even in the box, how many chances, how many shots, we didn't score but it's better you create opportunities.
"I want my team to repeat the same but there are some mistakes we need to avoid."
Nigeria, second in Group A of AFCON qualifying with six points, will return to the top of the table with a win against Guinea-Bissau at the Estádio Nacional 24 de Setembro on Monday evening.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- Victor Boniface yet to start negotiations with any team amid Eintracht Frankfurt, Leipzig links
- 'Many lies were told' - Italian pundit claims Osimhen was not sincere about his Napoli future
- Brentford, Leicester stars named in Super Eagles expanded squad for 2023 AFCONQ
- Central defender of African descent returns to Chelsea
- Opposition watch: Canada include Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd stars in provisional WWC squad
- Super Eagles striker linked with departure from Southampton, drawing interest from 3 clubs
- Ujah, top agent, Cute Abiola to grace Awoniyi's sponsored 'Never Stop Dreaming Cup' final
- Official: Promising Nigerian midfielder signs new contract with Sparta Prague
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football