Osimhen equals Serie A record held by Africa's only Ballon d'Or winner; surpasses Cameroon iconPublished: May 04, 2023
Napoli's wait for their first Serie A title since 1990 is over courtesy of their 1-1 draw with Kingsley Ehizibue's Udinese at the Dacia Arena on Thursday night, with Victor Osimhen scoring the title-winning goal for the visitors in the second half.
The Parthenopeans are uncatchable at the top of the league standings as they hold a sixteen-point advantage over Lazio with five games still to be played in the division.
Nobody gave Napoli a chance to win the Serie A title considering that they lost key players Kalidou Koulibaly, Fabián Ruiz, Arkadiusz Milik, Lorenzo Insigne and Dries Mertens last summer.
Sandi Lovric, assisted by Tottenham Hotspur loanee Destiny Udogie, broke the deadlock in the thirteenth minute, but who else but Osimhen restored parity six minutes into the second half.
It was a historic goal for the Nigeria national teamer as he equaled George Weah, Africa's only player to win the Ballon d'Or, as the top-scoring African in the history of the Serie A with 46 goals.
With 22 goals mustered this season, the Napoli number 9 also surpassed Cameroon legend Samuel Eto'o as the top-scoring African in a single Serie A season.
Former Inter Milan striker Eto'o notched 21 goals in the Italian top-flight in the 2010-2011 season
Georgia dazzler Khvicha Kvaratskhelia provided assists for six of the twenty two goals scored by Osimhen in this season's Serie A.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- PSG determined to bring back to Ligue 1 at least one between Osimhen and Man City midfielder
- Premier League new boys Luton Town considering transfer swoop for Nigerian striker
- FC Basel show the exit door to youth team captain Uruejoma
- Gent goal machine Gift Orban is most valuable player in Belgium, Boniface joint-seventh
- Opinion: Why Super Eagles coach Peseiro dropped Moffi from AFCONQ squad
- Tottenham join Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City in race for Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Confirmed: Most expensive African player in history returns to Arsenal
- Eight things to note on Super Eagles 23-man roster for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football