Versatile Irish-Nigerian CB scores in shootout as Celtic beat Rangers to win Glasgow CupPublished: May 10, 2023
Celtic defeated Rangers on penalties to win the Glasgow Cup on Wednesday evening, with a player of Nigerian descent on parade for the Hoops at the Ibrox Stadium.
Versatile Republic of Ireland U21 central defender of Nigerian descent, Bosun Lawal started for Celtic in the showpiece, while 2023 Flying Eagles invitee Thompson Ishaka was missing from the starting lineup of the Light Blues.
Celtic had a prolific first half as they were 3-0 up inside 35 minutes but Rangers stayed calm and pulled one back through Alex Lowry, who slotted away a penalty before halftime.
Adam Brooks caused Rangers problems in the opening forty five minutes and his efforts were rewarded with two goals, before Vata joined in on the act.
It was a dream start to the second half for Rangers as Zak Lovelace made it 3-2 when he sliced the ball past the Celtic goalie after Lawal was caught in possession.
Two minutes from time, Tony Weston got the much needed equalizer with a powerful strike from close range despite Lawal's best efforts to stop the ball from going in, which sent the game to a shootout.
Celtic won the shootout 4-3 with Lawal dispatching confidently the second spot kick taken by the champions.
Former Watford schoolboy Lawal made his senior debut for Celtic in a Scottish FA Cup clash against Greenock Morton FC on January 21, 2023.
Photo Credit : celticfc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- PSG determined to bring back to Ligue 1 at least one between Osimhen and Man City midfielder
- Premier League new boys Luton Town considering transfer swoop for Nigerian striker
- FC Basel show the exit door to youth team captain Uruejoma
- Gent goal machine Gift Orban is most valuable player in Belgium, Boniface joint-seventh
- Opinion: Why Super Eagles coach Peseiro dropped Moffi from AFCONQ squad
- Tottenham join Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City in race for Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Confirmed: Most expensive African player in history returns to Arsenal
- Eight things to note on Super Eagles 23-man roster for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football