Oshoala-less Barcelona beat Wolfsburg in UWCL final, Lopez non-playing substitutePublished: June 03, 2023
Spanish champions Barcelona celebrated winning their second UEFA Women's Champions League title on Saturday after beating VfL Wolfsburg 3-2 in the showpiece.
Unlike the semifinals against Chelsea, Asisat Oshoala failed a fitness test and was left out of the matchday squad by manager Jonatan Giráldez.
The Nigeria international is recovering from a thigh injury suffered on the final day of the Liga F season and was not given a medical discharge before the trip to the Netherlands.
Spanish-Nigerian striker Vicky Lopez, who won the Golden Ball at last year's FIFA U17 Women's World Cup, was a non-playing substitute for Barcelona.
Barcelona came from two goals down to secure a win over their German opponents, with Oshoala watching on from the stands.
Goals from Ewa Pajor and Alexandra Popp put VfL Wolfsburg in the lead at the break in front of 34,120 spectators at the sold-out Philips Stadium in Eindhoven.
Patri Guijarro hit two quickfire goals early in the second half to restore parity and Rolfö completed Barcelona's comeback with the match-winning strike in the 70th minute.
Oshoala finished as Barcelona's top scorer in the UEFA Women's Champions League with five goals to her name, an honour she shared with Spain midfielder Aitana Bonmatí.
Photo Credit: fcbarcelona.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- CAF Team of the Year 2023: Osimhen joins Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, West Ham players in ideal XI
- Osimhen sees off challenges from Liverpool and PSG stars to land African football's biggest individual prize
- CAF Awards 2023: Oshoala wins 6th POTY; Nnadozie Goalkeeper of the Year; Super Falcons best national team
- 'Gave Man Utd's back four a torrid time' - PL's record goalscorer hails Solanke for display at Old Trafford
- 'A great understanding with Osimhen' - Peseiro on similarities and differences between Lookman and Chukwueze
- Nwaneri trains with Arsenal first team pre-PSV after scoring five goals in FA Youth Cup clash
- CAF Awards 2023: Can Osimhen end Nigeria's 24-year wait for an African football king?
- 'We can do better' - Boniface reacts to Bayer's 1-1 draw against VfB Stuttgart
- Super Eagles-eligible defender agrees new long-term contract with Tottenham Hotspur
- Osimhen battles Saka, Mbappe, Messi, Ronaldo, 20 others for IFFHS Men's World Best Player 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football