Official: Belgian champions Antwerp sign 16yo Lagos-born center forwardPublished: June 29, 2023
Through a statement on their official website, Belgian Pro League champions Royal Antwerp have announced that they have strengthened their offensive ranks with the acquisition of Lagos-born center forward George Ilenikhena.
The Nigerian wonderkid, who also has a French passport, has put pen to paper on a four-year contract that will keep him at Antwerp until the end of the 2026-2027 season, provided both parties honor the agreement.
Antwerp have pulled off a massive transfer coup by luring him to the Reds as several top-flight clubs in France and Germany attempted to recruit him without success.
The 16-year-old has joined Antwerp from French Ligue 2 club Amiens SC, for whom he made seventeen appearances over the course of the 2022-2023 season and scored two goals.
He netted six goals in ten matches for Amiens reserve team in the National 3 - Hauts-de-France last term.
Commenting on the signing of Ilenikhena, Marc Overmars, Royal Antwerp's Director of Football Affairs said: "George is known as a great talent. We have been following him for a long time and are therefore pleased that he has chosen RAFC.
"It says something that he wants to continue his career in Belgium, because there was also a lot of interest from foreign clubs.
"With us he gets the time and space to develop further in the shadow of Vincent Janssen.”
Ilenikhena links up with 2022 Super Eagles invitee Alhassan Yusuf at Royal Antwerp.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Shoretire battles Garnacho, Fernandes, 6 others for Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Iwobi's brilliant effort against favourite PL opponents nominated for Fulham Goal of the Month
- Victor Boniface: Juventus target Bundesliga star as possible replacement for Arsenal-linked striker Vlahovic
- Two teenagers of Nigerian descent promoted to Arsenal first team training pre-Wolves
- Dessers struggling to make an impact: Ex-Scotland star insists Rangers must sign a striker in January
- Blow to the jaw: Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Okonkwo to be assessed ahead of Wrexham v Yeovil Town
- Official: Chelsea confirm two talented midfielders have signed new deals
- Nottingham Forest's Goal of the Month award : Aina's first-time finish against Aston Villa nominated
- 101 Gunners goalscorers at the Emirates: Iwobi scored same number of goals as Arsenal legend Henry
- Watch: Gift Orban among four contenders for UEFA Europa Conference League Goal of the Week
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football