On-loan Gunner Okonkwo keeps 17th career clean sheet on competitive debut for WrexhamPublished: September 06, 2023
Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo has made his competitive debut for League Two club Wrexham, going the distance for the Red Dragons in a 1-0 win over Newcastle United U21s in the EFL Trophy at the STōK Cae Ras on Tuesday night.
The Hale End Academy graduate completed a move to Wrexham on deadline day, Friday September 1, but was ineligible to be fielded for their 1-0 win at Tranmere Rovers the following day.
Okonkwo impressed on his competitive debut for Wrexham and capped it off with a clean sheet, bringing his total career shutouts to seventeen since making his senior debut.
The 21-year-old kept ten clean sheets during his loan spell at Crewe Alexandra in the first half of last season and another six in the second half of the 2022-2023 season at Austrian club Sturm Graz.
Sam Dalby scored what proved to be the winning goal in the 13th minute when he slotted home the rebound after Billy Waters’ shot was blocked on the goalline.
Okonkwo made a stunning save just before half time to prevent the Magpies from grabbing an equalizer when he diverted Diallo's effort for a corner.
The Arsenal loanee was booked three minutes into the second half for handling the ball outside the box.
Okonkwo will be hoping to make his league debut for Wrexham on Saturday against Doncaster Rovers.
Photo Credit: wrexhamafc.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- CAF Team of the Year 2023: Osimhen joins Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, West Ham players in ideal XI
- Osimhen sees off challenges from Liverpool and PSG stars to land African football's biggest individual prize
- CAF Awards 2023: Oshoala wins 6th POTY; Nnadozie Goalkeeper of the Year; Super Falcons best national team
- 'Gave Man Utd's back four a torrid time' - PL's record goalscorer hails Solanke for display at Old Trafford
- 'A great understanding with Osimhen' - Peseiro on similarities and differences between Lookman and Chukwueze
- Nwaneri trains with Arsenal first team pre-PSV after scoring five goals in FA Youth Cup clash
- CAF Awards 2023: Can Osimhen end Nigeria's 24-year wait for an African football king?
- 'We can do better' - Boniface reacts to Bayer's 1-1 draw against VfB Stuttgart
- Super Eagles-eligible defender agrees new long-term contract with Tottenham Hotspur
- Osimhen battles Saka, Mbappe, Messi, Ronaldo, 20 others for IFFHS Men's World Best Player 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football