Why Aina and Ebuehi should be given a chance in 2023 AFCONQ against Sao Tome and PrincipePublished: September 07, 2023
The right-back position of the Super Eagles is up for grabs ahead of the tie against São Tomé and Príncipe in the last game of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
The position has been occupied by Bright Osayi Samuel recently but the Fenerbahce defender is absent for this encounter due to fitness issues.
This allows Ola Aina and Tyronne Ebuehi to prove they are good enough to rival the Turkish-based defender for a place in the starting XI.
As it stands, Osayi-Samuel is the first choice right back of the Super Eagles and what coach Jose Peseiro needs is someone who can deputize in his absence and maybe challenge him.
With Nigeria already booking a place at the next edition of the Africa Cup of Nations, Peseiro can afford to experiment against São Tomé and Príncipe.
Thus, the Portuguese tactician can afford to use both Aina and Ebuehi in the game to know which of the duo should be on the plane to Ivory Coast next year.
A 45-minute appearance for both players should provide a fair platform for the duo to impress.
The reasoning behind this position is that the Super Eagles will only have two matches to play before the start of the AFCON which are must-win games in the World Cup qualifiers.
This means Peseiro will have to field his strongest team in these games and that is why the game against the São Tomé and Príncipe team provides a good opportunity to address some issues regarding the squad with the right-back position being one of them.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Muscle tear injury: Chelsea midfielder Ugochukwu will not show off to dad at Old Trafford
- 'I've had many African players Yobo and Yakubu' - West Ham boss on being without some players during AFCON
- Tottenham vs West Ham prediction: Can West Ham upset Tottenham's top-four ambitions?
- Fabrizio Romano not convinced Chelsea target Osimhen is close to signing a new deal with Napoli
- Bundesliga transfer expert confirms Nigerian striker will sign a contract with Eintracht Frankfurt until 2028
- 'We're losing a lot of players' - Nottingham Forest boss aware Aina, 5 others could be heading to the AFCON
- Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo temporarily returns to parent club Arsenal
- FA Youth Cup: Two players of Nigerian descent on target for Tottenham Hotspur in win against Brentford
- German manager reveals Eintracht Frankfurt offered N17.3b to sign Gift Orban in the summer
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football