2023 AFCONQ Nigeria v Sao Tome and Príncipe: Five takeaways from Super Eagles big 6-0 winPublished: September 10, 2023
The Super Eagles secured qualification to the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations by topping Group A following a 6-0 victory over Sao Tome and Principe at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo on Sunday evening/.
Napoli striker Victor Osimhen took his tally in 2023 AFCON qualifying to ten goals; the Super Eagles' other scorers were Ademola Lookman, Taiwo Awoniyi and Samuel Chukwueze.
Allnigeriasoccer.com presents five observations from the big win over the The Falcons and True Parrots Team.
Victor Osimhen bags a hat-trick, moves closer to Rashidi Yekini's goal tally
The number of goals the Napoli striker will score against Sao Tome and Principe was one of the talking points ahead of the game.
Osimhen delighted the Nigerian fans with a hat-trick to take his tally with the national team to 20 goals from 26 games.
With the goals, the Napoli striker is 17 goals away from matching Yekini's tally of 37 for the Eagles.
Francis Uzoho a spectator on return to the Super Eagles starting lineup
Francis Uzoho missed the Super Eagles' last game against Sierra Leone due to suspension. Uzoho was replaced by Adebayo Adeleye, who returned to the bench on Sunday.
However, the Super Eagles goalkeeper - on his return to the starting lineup - was not troubled by the Falcons.
The 24-year-old was not called to action due to the dominance of the Super Eagles
Bruno Onyemaechi impresses on his debut.
Onyemaechi was trusted by Jose Peseiro to start at left back in the absence of Zaidu Sanusi and with Calvin Bassey shifted to a centre-back role.
The Boavista fullback did not look out of place and made an impression on the Portuguese manager with his performance in Uyo.
The 24-year-old was exciting on the left flank with his runs and understanding with Ademola Lookman. He was also solid defensively, neutralizing Sao Tome's attack when targeted.
Wilfred Ndidi showed class in midfield
The Leicester City midfielder has struggled in recent times for club and country.
However, the Super Eagles captain showed class against Sao Tome and Principe, winning tackles and dictating the game.
Iheanacho, Lookman lively in attack
Kelechi Iheanacho was at the heart of most of the Super Eagles' exciting play going forward.
Iheanacho, during his stay on the pitch, was a threat with his positioning and ability to skip past defenders to create chances for the team.
Meanwhile, Atalanta winger Ademola Lookman looked bright on the left with his dribbling skill and runs.
Lookman scored Nigeria's second and provided the assist for the opening goal from a corner kick.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or winger
- 'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be booked
- 'If he leaves in 6 months he will regret' - Ex-Napoli striker criticises Osimhen for not celebrating his goals
- 'I don't follow history' - Southampton loanee Onuachu admits he had no idea he set a record
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football