Chelsea winger Madueke ready to face Aston Villa after first omission from gameday squad in 12 matchesPublished: September 22, 2023
Speaking to the national press in England before his side's Premier League match against Aston Villa, Chelsea manager Mauricio Pochettino provided a positive update on Noni Madueke's return from injury.
For the first time in twelve Premier League matches on the bounce dating back to April 26,2023, the England underage international of Nigerian descent was not called up for the trip to the Vitality Stadium, where the Blues were held to a goalless draw by Dominic Solanke's Bournemouth last weekend.
Madueke returned from international duty with the Young Lions a little bit injured, so he wasn't risked for the trip to the South Coast.
Training images published by Chelsea's official website this week indicated that the former PSV Eindhoven star has made progress in his recovery from the ailment as he was pictured participating in full training.
Pochettino confirmed as much during the pre-match press conference on Friday, saying that the winger is ready to take to the Stamford Bridge pitch come Sunday.
In quotes relayed by Chelsea's official website, the Argentine football manager said: "Noni was involved also during the week in training, so I think yes he will be ready.
"Maybe we need one day more for Broja. I think maybe he can be involved Sunday, but we are not sure. We need to assess him tomorrow."
Still on the injury front, Chelsea have confirmed that another England youth international of Nigerian descent, Carney Chukwuemeka will not be available for selection against his former employer as the midfielder is continuing to undergo his rehabilitation programme.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football