'He looks exciting' - Tottenham manager Postecolgou on why Udogie was incorporated into starting XIPublished: September 30, 2023
Tottenham Hotspur manager Ange Postecolgou has revealed the reason behind choosing Destiny Udogie as Spurs' first choice left back.
Udogie joined the north London side in 2022 from Hellas Verona but was immediately loaned out to Udinese in a bid to garner more first-team experience.
Upon his return to Tottenham, the Italian-Nigerian fullback impressed Postecoglou who also became the club's new manager last summer and has started all Premier League games so far under the Greek-born tactician.
The 58-year-old has revealed the reason behind settling for Udogie as first-choice left-back, referring to his performance during his loan spell with Udinese last season.
In quotes relayed by Football London, Postecolgou said: "When I got the role I had a look at all the players who were out on loan last year and Destiny was one.
"I really liked his profile. Physically he's got outstanding attributes but he obviously played a different style of football in terms of a lot of times he was used as an attacking wing-back.
"He made a real impact in a tough league as a young man. Serie A is a tough league. He handled himself really well and it was one of those where as soon as we got him in I could see that he wants to improve every day.
"He's got outstanding attributes and for a 20-year-old he's already had some really big challenges defensively and he's handled himself so well.
"When he has the ball and he runs forward he looks exciting. I'm really pleased to have him in the group."
The only game Udogie has missed this season was Tottenham's Carabao Cup encounter with Fulham where they lost on penalties.
He has played a key role in Spurs' unbeaten start to the Premier League which has seen them garner 14 points from six games.
The 20-year-old is set to start his seventh consecutive game in the English top flight when the Lilywhites face Liverpool later today.
Photo Credit: tottenhamhotspur.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football