Napoli coach explains why Osimhen was not on penalty duty in win against LeccePublished: September 30, 2023
Napoli manager Rudi Garcia has hinted that Victor Osimhen is still the first-choice penalty taker of the club.
Osimhen has not been on penalty duties since he missed from the spot in Napoli's barren draw with Bologna last weekend.
During the Serie A champions win over Udinese on Wednesday, it was Piotr Zieliński who took the spot kick that was awarded to Garcia's side.
In their 4-0 win over Lecce today, it was Matteo Politano who was on penalty duties despite Osimhen being on the pitch.
During his post-match conference after his side's triumphs over Lecce, Garcia explained the reason behind Osimhen not being on spot-kick duties and hinted that the Super Eagles striker is still the designated penalty taker.
In quotes relayed by Pazzidifanta, the French tactician said: "He wasn't the designated penalty taker tonight because he didn't start on the pitch from the first minute.
"I make a well-defined list but the first gave the ball to Matteo for the shot. This is a beautiful thing."
The 24-year-old was on the scoresheet for the second consecutive game in the encounter when he headed the ball in from Khvicha Kvaratskhelia's cross in the 51st minute.
He has now netted 5 goals this term in the Serie A, the same as the leading top scorer Lautaro Martínez.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- 'He's often in the right place' - 1988 European Championship winner Kieft praises Ajax super-sub Akpom
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football