'Always behind me' - Osimhen names Tottenham star as the toughest defender he has played againstPublished: October 25, 2023
Victor Osimhen has named Tottenham Hotspur centre-back Cristian Romero as the toughest defender he has played against.
While the Nigerian striker is yet to face the Argentine since the latter moved to England, they faced each other twice in the Serie A in the 2020-2021 season.
Osimhen's first encounter with Romero was when the latter was on loan with Atalanta in 2020/2021 when Napoli beat the Black and Blues 4-1 in the Serie A with the Nigerian on target.
The duo met for the second time in the reverse fixture at the Gewiss Stadium where Napoli were beaten by Atalanta 4-2 and it was Romero who was on the scoresheet in the encounter with a header to wrap up the scoring in the 79th minute.
Answering the question on the toughest defender he has faced yet in an interview he granted earlier today on Twitch, Osimhen named the former Juventus centre-back and also namechecked former Manchester United defender Chris Smalling.
In quotes relayed by Pazzidifanta, the 2015 Fifa U17 World Cup Golden Boot winner said: "Romero is the toughest I've faced. The first time I played against him I got the ball deep several times and he was always behind me.
"I also had many duels with Smalling"
A World Cup winner with Argentina in 2022, Cristian Romero was named the best defender in the Serie A in the 2020-2021 campaign before moving to Tottenham Hotspur.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football