'No, no way' - Napoli chief rules out Osimhen's departure in January amid Chelsea linksPublished: October 27, 2023
Napoli sporting director Mauro Meluso has ruled out Osimhen's departure from the current Serie A champions in the January transfer window amid speculation linking the striker with a move to Premier League giants Chelsea.
It has been speculated that the Parthenopeans could cash in on the Nigeria international due to his contract impasse.
The Serie A top scorer for the 2022-2023 season will enter the final year of his contract with Napoli at the end of the current season and no progress has been made in contract renewal talks.
The stumbling block had been the release clause to be inserted into Osimhen's new deal and then the relationship between the club and player turned sour in the wake of the TikTok saga in which he was mocked in two offensive clips for missing a penalty against Bologna about a month ago.
Chelsea are in the market for an upgrade to their current attack and have been linked with Brentford striker Ivan Toney and Osimhen, but it would be almost impossible for the Blues to sign the Nigerian in January, with Napoli well placed to qualify for the knockout rounds of the Champions League and the striker set to represent the Super Eagles at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations.
When asked about top players like Osimhen leaving the club in January, Meluso said: "No, no way. Absolutely not.
"Our squad is very good and we feel relaxed. Of course we can improve it but it will discuss this topic later".
Osimhen is recovering from an injury suffered while on international duty and is not expected to return to action until after the international break in November.
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football