'He did his job' - Omonia coach hails Uzoho as Nigeria international reminds everyone he's not a bad GKPublished: December 10, 2023
Omonia Nicosia coach Sofronios Avgousti faced the cameras shortly after his side's 2-0 win against Nea Salamis Famagusta in the Cypriot First Division and has assessed the performance of Francis Uzoho.
The Nigeria international climbed the pecking order of goalkeepers for the trip to Nea Salamis Famagusta with first-choice goalkeeper Fabiano and Cyprus international Charalampos Kyriakidis unavailable for selection due to injuries.
Uzoho certainly did not look like a player who was making his first league start in 204 days as he was arguably the best player on the pitch.
The Nigerian rose to the occasion with a string of brilliant saves to prevent the opponents from scoring, including in the 93rd minute when he made an incredible save on the goal line to deny Fernandez.
With his performance this evening against Nea Salamis Famagusta, Uzoho reminded everyone especially his critics that he's still a good goalkeeper and one that can be relied on for the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations.
Assessing the performance of Uzoho, Avgousti was quoted as saying by Philenews.com : "He did his job. The goalkeeper has to be ready and I know that position well. Very good work is being done at Ilias Pullos".
Uzoho should get more game time before reporting for international duty for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations as his two rivals for a starting spot at Omonia Nicosia are in the treatment room.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football