Osimhen sees off challenges from Liverpool and PSG stars to land African football's biggest individual prizePublished: December 11, 2023
Napoli star and Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen has seen off challenges from Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah and PSG fullback Achraf Hakimi to win African football's biggest individual prize - the CAF Men's Player of the Year.
It has been a successful year for Osimhen, who helped Napoli to the Serie A title for the first time in 33 years, registering 31 goal involvements(26 goals, 5 assists).
This laid the platform for him to finish 8th in the Ballon d'Or ranking, the highest of any African player, win Italian Footballers' Association (AIC) Footballer of the Year, Serie A Best Striker and the Capocannoniere which is now known as the Paolo Rossi Award, meant for the top scorer in the Serie A.
The former Lille forward also did well for the Super Eagles in the year, having played a vital role in helping the three-time African champions qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations, finishing as the top scorer in the qualification series with 10 goals.
The Napoli ace becomes the first Nigerian to win the award since 1999 and the fifth to do so; Nwankwo Kanu, Emmanuel Amuneke, Rashidi Yekini and Victor Ikeba being the others.
Presently, he is in the running for the 2023 Globe Soccer Awards Best Men's Player and the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS) Men's World Best Player.
Osimhen is expected to fly back to Naples tonight ahead of Tuesday's Champions League clash between Napoli and Sporting de Braga at the Diego Maradona Stadium.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football