Updated PL squad: Chelsea include 8 Nigeria-eligible players including nephew of 2010 AFCON starPublished: February 09, 2024
Chelsea have submitted their updated squad list to the Premier League following the closure of the January transfer window.
There are two separate lists, the main one containing a total of nineteen players and another reserved for only U21 players and scholars irrespective of nationality.
For the 2023-2024 season, U21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 2002.
Chelsea boss Mauricio Pochettino has supplemented his squad with 66 players classed as U21 players and scholars, with eight eligible to represent the Nigerian national teams.
Lesley Ugochukwu, nephew of Nigeria's 2010 Africa Cup of Nations star Onyekachi Apam, is joined on the list by Noni Madueke (21), Carney Chukwuemeka (20), Richard Olise (19) Tyrique George (18), Chinonso Chibueze (18), Somto Boniface (17) and Saheed Olagunju (17).
Ugochukwu, Chukwuemeka and Madueke have all made their Premier League debuts for Chelsea while the five other players of Nigerian descent have yet to receive call-ups for Premier League games.
Richard, younger brother of 2021 Super Eagles invitee Michael Olise, George, Chibueze and Boniface have signed professional contracts with Chelsea.
George has been one of the standout performers for Chelsea youth teams so far this season, having mustered fourteen goals in all competitions including a brilliant strike against Crystal Palace in the FA Youth Cup on Thursday.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- First Premier League call-up: 15yo son of ex-Super Eagles striker could make Wolves history in Newcastle
- Ex-Barcelona midfielder believes Zirkzee fully deserves to be named in Netherlands provisional squad
- 17 goal involvements in 24 games: Rangers striker Dessers explains why he's flourishing under Clement
- Struggling for game time at loan club: Super Eagles-eligible midfielder back playing for Man Utd U21s
- Everton, Crystal Palace or Nottingham Forest: Which club would suit Super Eagles midfielder Onyedika best?
- PL2: Nwaneri scores pick of the goals but misses penalty as Arsenal come from behind to beat Chelsea
- Tottenham hold advantage over Man Utd in race for Dutch-Nigerian striker
- Will Jose Peseiro's exit derail Super Eagles path to 2026 World Cup?
- Confirmed team news: Ndidi starts partial training at Leicester but ruled out of QPR clash
- Tottenham coach provides update on Nigeria-eligible fullback ahead of London derby
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football