2023 AFCON final: Five tactical gains of Super Eagles starting lineup against Ivory CoastPublished: February 11, 2024
The Nigerian national football team's starting lineup for the highly and eagerly anticipated AFCON 2023 final against Ivory Coast has been disclosed, showcasing what looks like a potent 3-4-3 formation, heralding a tactical masterclass that promises to shake up the pitch.
Peseiro's decision to stick to the tactic that has seemingly worked for his side en route to the final of the AFCON 2023 signals a tactical masterclass aimed at securing victory against Ivory Coast.
With defensive stability, midfield dominance, wing wizardry, forward firepower, and fluidity, the Super Eagles are poised to showcase their prowess on the grand stage and lift the coveted AFCON trophy once again after a decade-long wait.
Allnigeriasoccer.com takes a look at five summarized tactical gains from Nigeria's AFCON final starting lineup to face the Elephants of Ivory Coast.
1. Defensive Stability
The defensive setup, anchored by the trio of Ajayi, Troost-Ekong, and Bassey, provides a formidable barrier against Ivory Coast's attacking threats. With a compact backline supported by two wing-backs in Aina and Zaidu, Nigeria aims to neutralize Ivory Coast's wide play and limit their opportunities in the final third.
2. Midfield Decency and Stability
The midfield duo of Onyeka and Iwobi brings a perfect blend of defensive solidity and creative flair. Positioned centrally, they are tasked with controlling the midfield battle, intercepting opposition passes, and launching swift counterattacks.
This strategic positioning allows Nigeria to dictate the tempo of the game and exploit gaps in Ivory Coast's midfield.
3. Wing Wizardry
The inclusion of Lookman and Chukwueze on the wings adds an element of unpredictability and dynamism to Nigeria's attacking play.
With their blistering pace and trickery, they are expected to wreak havoc down the flanks, stretching Ivory Coast's defense and delivering dangerous crosses into the box.
Their ability to take on defenders one-on-one could prove pivotal in breaking down stubborn defensive lines.
4. Forward Firepower
Leading the line is none other than Osimhen, Nigeria's talismanic striker known for his clinical finishing and predatory instincts.
Supported by Lookman and Chukwueze on either side, Osimhen aims to exploit any defensive lapses and capitalize on scoring opportunities.
His physical presence and aerial prowess pose a constant threat to Ivory Coast's backline, keeping their defenders on high alert throughout the match.
5. Fluidity and Flexibility:
The beauty of the 3-4-3 formation lies in its adaptability to various phases of the game. Nigeria can seamlessly transition between defense and attack, shifting from a solid defensive block to an expansive attacking force with fluidity and precision.
This flexibility allows the team to respond effectively to changes in the flow of the game and exploit weaknesses in Ivory Coast's setup.
Super Eagles starting lineup - Nwabali, Ajayi, Troost-Ekong, Bassey, Aina, Zaidu, Onyeka, Iwobi, Lookman, Osimhen,Chukwueze.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football