16yo Nigeria-eligible player subbed in as Arsenal set club record in 6-0 rout of West HamPublished: February 11, 2024
Anglo-Nigerian winger Ethan Nwaneri made his second-ever Premier League appearance on Sunday afternoon when Arsenal blew away West Ham 6-0 in a Premier League fixture played at the London Stadium.
Sunday's rout of the Hammers was the biggest-ever away win recorded by Arsenal in the Premier League.
William Saliba opened the scoring in the 32nd minute, nodding the ball into the net with ease and precision from Declan Rice's corner.
Bukayo Saka doubled the lead in the 41st minute with a penalty he won by himself having been knocked down by West Ham goalkeeper, Alphonse Areola.
Three minutes later, a free kick from Rice was headed into the net by Gabriel Magalhães to extend the away side's lead.
The Gunners weren't done dealing with the Hammers, with Leandro Trossard firing the ball into the top corner to record the 4th goal of the afternoon.
Mikel Arteta's side weren't done hammering the Hammers as Saka received a good pass from Martin Odegaard in the 63d minute and his shot sailed past Areola.
Rice would complete the rout in the 66th minute scoring against his former side with a volley from outside the penalty area.
With Arsenal enjoying a good day in office, Arteta brought on Nwaneri to replace Gabriel Martinelli in the 77th minute.
The 16-year-old managed to record 20 touches of the ball, completed 83% of his passes, one key pass, and also put on a decent defensive performance, winning 1 aerial and ground duel defensively.
This would be his first appearance in the Premier League this season though he was named among the substitutes in the reverse fixture.
Photo Credit: arsenal.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football