Arsene Wenger Gives Two Reasons Why Nigeria Cannot Win The World Cup NowPublished: June 21, 2018
Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has given two reasons why Nigeria will find it difficult winning the 2018 World Cup and this has nothing to do with their 2-0 loss to Croatia in their opening match.
The experienced French football tactician has stated that the average age of World Cup winning teams is 28 years, 2.1 years more than the average age of the youngest squad in Russia, Nigeria, and successful teams must have experienced defenders.
The average age of Nigeria's ideal starting back four (Shehu, Balogun, Troost-Ekong and Idowu) is 26 years, with the Brighton newbie the oldest at 29 years.
France are the second youngest nation in the World Cup, with an average age of 26 years, just behind Nigeria, and Wenger was asked how much it will weigh on the results.
Wenger told Ouest France : '' It's a real handicap. When you look at the average age of the national teams that have won the World Cup, it's still around 27-28 years old.
''After, it depends where is the youth: when it is in attack, it is not a problem. When its's behind, it's a real problem. But our defenders are not inexperienced either.''
Two defensive-minded players under the age of 25, Oghenekaro Etebo and Troost-Ekong, have been blamed for the two goals conceded by Nigeria against Croatia last weekend.
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea Hail Nigerian Defender For Performance Against Blackburn Rovers
- German Bundesliga Top Super Sub Anthony Ujah Helps Set New Record
- Iwobi Rated Arsenal's Best Player In Europa League Tie Vs FC Vorskla
- Dual Eligible PSV Wonderkid Is The Secret Weapon Libya Plan To Unleash Against Nigeria
- UEL Wrap: Moses, Sadiq & Deji Benched; Chukwueze Debuts; Iwobi Assists; Odey Starts; Kalu Booked
- Villarreal Pull Off Surprise NO ONE Saw Coming After Naming Ex-Flying Eagles Dazzler In Squad
- Official: Nigerian Striker Ends Seven-Year Association With Italian Champions Juventus
- NFF Elections: Pinnick, Akinwunmi, Gusau Remain In The Saddle After Comprehensive Wins
- Basketball Games Live
- Golden Eaglets Last Batch Finally Depart Republic of Niger, Stopover In Lome
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football