Monaco's France Defender Explains Why He Wants To Avoid Nigeria In Second RoundPublished: June 23, 2018
Monaco's France defender Djibril Sidibé wants to avoid a confrontation with the Super Eagles and Argentina in the last sixteen of the 2018 World Cup but would prefer facing Iceland.
The 1998 world champions can afford to choose their next opponents in the tournament, that is take their foot off the pedal, because they have already advanced to the knockout stage ahead of their final Group C clash against Denmark on Tuesday.
Questioned about the opponent he would prefer to face in the next round, Sidibe replied : ''We have already met Iceland in the past.
''Argentina will be difficult as they have one of the best players in the world (Messi), even the best player.
''Nigeria, it is an athletic African team with a lot of speed, you can expect anything. I can not say too much, but I would say maybe Iceland.''
In Brazil 2014, France needed two late goals, the first coming in the 79th minute before seeing off Nigeria, and that was only after the then influential midfielder Eddy Onazi was substituted due to injury.
Nigeria beat France 1-0 in a friendly staged at the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard (Saint-ètienne) in June 2009, with Joseph Akpala netting the winner in the 32nd minute.
Football News 24/7
- EFL Cup: Iheanacho Nets Winning Penalty; Ndidi Rested; Ibe Strikes; Nnamdi In 18; Tomori Shines; Olosunde Missing
- Visa Hitch Stops Chelsea Loanee Omeruo From La Liga Debut Against Barcelona
- Egwuekwe Pens One-Year Al Nasr Deal After Successful Medical, Rejects Kuwaiti & Azerbaijani Clubs
- Chelsea Product Solanke Declared One Hundred Percent Fit To Face Old Club
- Chelsea Legend Zola Names The Gifted Player That Prevented Moses From Starting Vs Man City
- 'Nigerian Iniesta' Ends Speculation Over Future By Signing New CS Sfaxien Contract
- Super Eagles Star Ahmed Musa Is N0.97M Richer After Winning Saudi PL Player Of The Week
- England Call-Up For Leyton Orient's Marvin Ekpiteta, Whose Twin Brother Had Been Targeted By Nigeria
- Injured Nigerian Striker Ruled Out Of Leicester City's League Cup Match Vs Wolves
- Super Eagles Star Alhassan Ibrahim Named In Liga NOS Team Of The Week After Battle Scar
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football