Ighalo On How Nigeria Beat Iceland : We Played With Two StrikersPublished: June 23, 2018
Changchun Yatai frontman Odion Ighalo was delighted with Nigeria's 2-0 victory over Iceland on Friday evening and revealed that they were able to win their first game of the 2018 World Cup because they played with two strikers.
The former Watford star made his second appearance in the ongoing tournament in Russia when he came off the bench in the 85th minute as replacement for Kelechi Iheanacho, who partnered Ahmed Musa in attack when the game started.
''I am so happy because this is what we need, we have to win the game, the group is more open for the three other teams behind to qualify,'' Ighalo told reporters in the mixed zone.
''The formation change benefited us because we played with only one striker in the first game and I was isolated .
''Today, we played with two forwards, first half was not that okay but second half we came out and it was more easier when you play with two strikers, you have more possibility of scoring goals which we did today.''
Looking ahead to Tuesday's game against Argentina, Ighalo said : ''It is going to be tough but I think we are going to qualify because if we play the same way we played the second half with the same spirit, we have what it takes to qualify.''
Nigeria have started preparations for the final Group D fixture with Argentina, with a recovery session held in Essentuki on Saturday evening.
Football News 24/7
- EFL Cup: Iheanacho Nets Winning Penalty; Ndidi Rested; Ibe Strikes; Nnamdi In 18; Tomori Shines; Olosunde Missing
- Visa Hitch Stops Chelsea Loanee Omeruo From La Liga Debut Against Barcelona
- Egwuekwe Pens One-Year Al Nasr Deal After Successful Medical, Rejects Kuwaiti & Azerbaijani Clubs
- Chelsea Product Solanke Declared One Hundred Percent Fit To Face Old Club
- Chelsea Legend Zola Names The Gifted Player That Prevented Moses From Starting Vs Man City
- 'Nigerian Iniesta' Ends Speculation Over Future By Signing New CS Sfaxien Contract
- Super Eagles Star Ahmed Musa Is N0.97M Richer After Winning Saudi PL Player Of The Week
- England Call-Up For Leyton Orient's Marvin Ekpiteta, Whose Twin Brother Had Been Targeted By Nigeria
- Injured Nigerian Striker Ruled Out Of Leicester City's League Cup Match Vs Wolves
- Super Eagles Star Alhassan Ibrahim Named In Liga NOS Team Of The Week After Battle Scar
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football